New to m*gs, want to make a hotwire

RCantor

Enlightened
I want to build an ~2k+ Lm light with an AW soft start 3 level switch. Adjustable flood to throw would be a plus. I was thinking of using an inexpensive 12V 100W 2000 hr bulb and running it off of 4 32650 LiIons in a 4D and having it bored to fit 2x18650 to run 4S2P also (either way). I'm totally new to both m*gs and incan so I wanted to know what you folks think. Is it feasible? Would a 4D work? I'd have to shorten the spring - is there a replacement spring that would work better? Are there differences in hosts and what do I look for? This would be a user light and I will have spare batteries and a variety of other lights including a headlamp as well. Thanks. There is no voltage regulated switch available, right?

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are few problems there:
1 - 4 protected 32650 will not fit in 4"D" M*g. Each protected 32650 is about 5~6mm longer than standard "D" cell.
2 - Protected cells won't be able to provide required current spike of 8A or more even with 4S/2P system.
3 - Unprotected cobalt li-ion 32600 will fit but not safe to take that kind of load.
4 - Even 4 large IMRs won't properly shine (overdrive) a 12V, 10W (2000 Hrs) bulb.

For similar bulb power, I would suggest Osram 623 with 4 IMR 26500 or 25650.
Depends on run time, budget and host size/shape there are many different options for this set up to choose from.

RCantor

Enlightened
Thanks. The bulb I'm interested in is a 2550 Lm 100 watt. I don't really need it to be overdriven but I don't want to start out with 3 Li Ion at its minimum voltage, either. The Osram is a 10W.

Here's my bulb http://www.higuchiusa.com/products/medical/gy6-35/M-01142/

What are the best batteries to run my 100W bulb? I'd like multiple levels and $$ isn't tight, but not unlimited, either. I wouldn't be able to afford a premium FM setup :) I'd like at least 40 min on high as a target runtime. It wouldn't be all at once :) I guess if we find the right batteries and 'driver', the rest will be derived from that.

There are other switch substitutes in the works that could also work.