I just made my Olight M3X batter.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Sorry. I just made my Olight M3X better. (don't know how to edit the title)

I have an Olight M3X and I love this light for it's excellent throw. The light has only 2 lighting modes with high of 700 lumens and low of 60 lumens. Switching between the two modes is done by losening the head slightly to get low and tightening it again for high mode. One of the things that I have wish it had was a lower low mode. I just found a solution to improve the light.
I have an Olight M20s. I wanted a way to make this light tail stand and I talked to a guy at Olight USA about the problem. He sold me a tailcap for a Olight M30 that allows me to tailstand the M20s. Another advantage to this tailcap is that the side button is easier to find and use without looking at the light. The side button being hard to find is a big complaint from M20s owners.

Today I tried using this M30 tailcap on my M3X. It fits. The good news is that it now gives me an extra mode and the ability to access all three modes in addition to the strobe mode from the tailcap without twisting the head. I can do it one handed. The brightness of the original low mode on the M3X seems to have changed. This is what I am noticing.

The high mode has not changed at all when using the M30 tailcap.

The low mode using the original M3X tailcap is listed at 60 lumens. The new low setting when using the M30 tailcap looks a little less bright than the original 60 lumens. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 45 lumens.

The new medium mode when using the M30 tailcap on the M3X and compared to my Fenix TK41 on medium mode of 108 lumens, the M3X is a little brighter. I'm guessing somewhere around 130 lumens.

This tailcap makes my M3X more versatile and easier to use.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I tried my Olight side switch tail cap with non side switch models, it didn't work well. Are you leaving the head tight or loose when you do this ?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful (not sure what will happen)! I had a M30 with both the tactical and smooth tail cap. After receiving my M3X, I found that I didn't like the tactical tail cap so I emailed olight to ask if they had a smooth tail cap option for it or if the M30's smooth tail cap would work (momentary on and on/off positions).

Olight US told me they didn't have a smooth tail cap for the M3X and the M30 tail cap will not work with the M3X. Further explaining if I did use the M30 tail cap, it will work for a breif peroid only. But again did not recommend using it!

However I didn't ask for an explanation why. You could email Olight to ask why it won't work with the M3X. I sure wish it'd work though.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
When I tried my Olight side switch tail cap with non side switch models, it didn't work well. Are you leaving the head tight or loose when you do this ?

I have the head tightened all the way. It doesn't do anything if I don't have the head cap tightened except come on at a low level.

I will call Olight USA when they open in an hour or so and ask them if I'm damaging my M3X in any way.

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
"I just made my Olight M3X batter."
Man, I cant wait for the Olight M3X pancakes. Mmmm!

Sorry. I couldn't help it.