4Sevens Quark X 123 -2 Tactical or HDS 120

diesel79

Enlightened
Im looking at getting my dad a good light for Christmas. Out of the 4Sevens Quark X 123 -2 Tactical or the HDS 120 (tactical or executive), what would you go with. It will be a general purpose light and will not be a EDC. They are both close in price. $69 vs $99. It looked like The Battery Station has the HDS in stock.

Last edited:

diesel79

Enlightened
Might as well throw a malkoff Md2 in there too. With a m60 or m61. I've got an Elzetta with a m60 that I really like.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your dad tech savvy? How old is he and will he have a nimble enough fingers to do the click, double click, triple click and click + press hold thingy on the HDS? If that will post a problem for him then I would suggest getting him the Quark instead. Why not get him the 2AA instead? With the money saved from not getting the HDS, you could throw in some Eneloop rechargeable and a charger. It would save him money buying tons of CR123 batteries. Quark X 2AA is plenty bright and has a very useful flood beam which would be nice for general use.

diesel79

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that AA Quark X. Now that you mention it, I think he wuld have problems figuring out the HDS. He is not tech saavy at all.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to get it before Christmas, order immediately. You might get it before Christmas if you are in US, but if you are out of US, you would probably need to place it on express shipping just to get it in time. It usually take exactly 10 days to reach me from when 4Sevens send me the "Shipped" notification. I ordered a Maelstrom X7 neutral white two days ago for myself and I don't think I will get it before Christmas.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark X AA2 gets my vote too; maybe even consider the neutral tint version for a really nice looking natural beam. I have given lots of Quark AA2 lights away as gifts, and feel it is the best all around gift light for non-flashaholics....reasons - it has a simple interface (two choices - tactical or regular), uses common AA batteries, and is extremely bright compared to anything most have seen before. Order it with some eneloop rechargeable batteries & a charger like pjandyho suggested, and your dad will enjoy guilt-free lumens for years to come.

diesel79

Enlightened
I ordered the Quark AA -2 Tactical, 4 Eneloop rechrgeable batteries and a charger. He's gonna love it. Thanks for the help! Now I want one.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark X AA2 gets my vote too; maybe even consider the neutral tint version for a really nice looking natural beam. I have given lots of Quark AA2 lights away as gifts, and feel it is the best all around gift light for non-flashaholics....reasons - it has a simple interface (two choices - tactical or regular), uses common AA batteries, and is extremely bright compared to anything most have seen before. Order it with some eneloop rechargeable batteries & a charger like pjandyho suggested, and your dad will enjoy guilt-free lumens for years to come.
Mine is the neutral white tactical version and I love it very much. Felt like ordering one more just for keeps.

I ordered the Quark AA -2 Tactical, 4 Eneloop rechrgeable batteries and a charger. He's gonna love it. Thanks for the help! Now I want one.
Good decision you made. Good thing you ordered 4 batteries for him so he could have one set as spare.