Help me build a 6P thrower with LOTS of output

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a number of lights right now but they are all fairly floody which I like but I'm ready for a thrower.

I've got some parts I'd like to use if possible but I'm open to changes. I currently have the following sitting around:

- 6P body which is bored for 18650
- Z41 tailap
- Z44 head
- Callie's Kustoms 18650 3100MaH cells

1) Which drop in will get me a huge amount of output? Probably a custom from Nailbender but I need suggestions. I have no experience with selecting the most appropriate LED and driver.

2) Can the Callie's Kustoms 18650 3100MaH cell handle high current draw or is the AW 2600MaH cell a better choice?

3) I would assume I'll need to make a change to the tail cap to handle higher current. Can the McClicky do it or do I need to go to the Oveready ZeroRez? I would really like a clicky.

I'm sure there will be many different opinions, but perhaps there will be some consensus on some of the items.

Thanks!

I'm looking to get the most for my money. No uber expensive 3xLED's, Ti bodies, or anything like that.

FLGUY

Newly Enlightened
I have been wondering what the best setup for throw would be also. Was thinking about the Nailbender XRE with optic maybe. Hopefully we will see what others have to say.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Probably the best throw for a 6P/P60 format is in this thread over in the custom forum:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...RE-R2-EZ900-Small-Die-High-Surface-Brightness

The XR-E is still the throw king in the p60 format, and Vinh is using the XR-E in the EZ900 die size (~10% smaller than the "normal" EZ1000 size that is commonly available.) The increased lumens output should be comparable as well, all other things being equal.

Dave/Nailbender does not have any XR-E's in the EZ900 size at the moment. Vinh does. Vinh also drives his XR-E's harder (1.8A, I believe) versus Nailbender's 1.4A.

Of course you also need to search "Deft EDC". I believe there is an option to have a deft module retrofitted to 6P lights. This will get you the most throw by far in this form factor. :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could buy the solarforce masterpice pro1 head. Fits right on, and ull get ~5 times more lux than the normal throwy p60's. Had no problems spotting some cabins 650 meteters away on the other side of a large fjord. It's a singlemode. It can out throw just about anything that fits a 6p body, but only got 275 lumens (claimed).

If you want lots of output (lumens) out of a normal p60 (small) reflector, then it wont throw. The "hi output" types of leds got more lumens because they are bigger. It's like a campfire, it won't blind you no matter how big you make it. But a bigger campfire got more lumens. For it to blind you, it must somehow burn brighter. Same with led's, they have to glow brighter, and the hi lumen ones (mc-e,xm-l ect) don't "glow" as bright as the smaller ones (xr-e,xp-c ect).

If you dont want a huge head, this might be of interest:
Edit: same link as shane

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I got good results from a Nailbender XR-E R2 driven at 1.4A, using 2xCR123. 8 degree optic.

The throw from a P60 module is unremarkable though. Even my 6PX Pro (stock) out-throws my Nailbender. That said, the nailbender is a nice unit, although you'll have to work a little bit to get it to seat properly.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like already mentioned throw will be limited to about 300 lumens via XR-E R2 EZ900 from Vinnynguyen

Tons of lumens will require multiple LEDs in that P60 format or a single XM-L, SST-90, or SST-50, yet you will get about 9K lux at most due to sheer lumen output of close to and over 1000 OTF depending on which you choose.

Here is how it goes and by the way throw is measured in 1m lux or Klux. Forget about lumens cause thats irrelevant when you want throw. Well, almost irrelevant.

XR-E R2 EZ1000 from Nailbender with Optic (8degree) does about 6~7K lux
XR-E R2 EZ1000 from Nailbender with SMOOTH REFELECTOR does about 12K lux

Malkoff P60 XR-E R2 drop-in with same Optic as Nailbenders do 6~7K lux

Vinnynguyen P60 drop-in with SMO Reflector and EZ900 at 1.8A should do alot more than 12K lux, but I have not tested yet.

XR-E R2 EZ1000 from Nailbender with Ahorton Aspheric will do 23K lux

XR-E R2 EZ900 with copper slug heatsink (PCC on this forum makes) does 27K~28K lux

Saablaster DEFT EDC my sample I purchased at $200 net me 35K lux (rated at 40K lux)

Saablaster DEFT EDC LR new $300 version is rated for 60K lux

Solarforce Masterpiece 2in bezel screws onto your 6P type bodies does 50K lux with SMO reflector

DBS Aspheric which is 100% P60 pill compatible = with stock XR-E R2 EZ900 at 1.5A is rated at 90K lux, but the bezel is 44mm I believe.

bigC

Last edited: