What are your maximum times for TK70 turbo?

shipwreck

Enlightened
There are several TK70 threads, and the topics are all over the map.

But, what is your maximum turbo time out of 1 charge?

Mine is a week and a half old. I estimated i got 35 min the last time I tried it after a full charge last weekend.

Today, I just tried it and actually timed it this time.... I ran it for 15 min increments and then shut it off for 15 min to cool down.

Just now, I got 55 minutes total before it dropped out of turbo.

I am using 4 blue tenergy 10000 mAh NiMH D batteries and am using a tenergy BC-1HU charger (I got the package deal from Fenix Outfitters).

What is everyone else's max time? The manual claims 1hr and 50 min or so... I guess I'd be happy if I could get 1hr....

Last edited:

dwminer

Enlightened
icon1.png
Re: Fenix TK-70
On 2 cells LiIon 86 min. in turbo before droping out.
Dave

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
Ok, checked it again. 20 minute increments with 20 minutes to cool off inbetween...

78 minutes on turbo total.

I used my ZTS tester:

-After 20 minutes exactly, the 4 D cells tested at 80%
-After 40 minutes exactly, the 4 D cells tested at 60%
-After 60 minutes exactly, three 4 D cells tested at 60% and one tested at 40%
-After 78 minutes exactly, One cell had 40%. one cell had 20%, and two cells had less than 20%.

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've previously done a constant runtime test on my TK70.
Using 9Ah DSE NiMH cells.
Dropped to high mode at 1 hour and 9 minutes...
Dropped to medium at 1 hr, 52 mins, and 50 seconds.
Dropped to low a few seconds after that.
I'll take that as 10% of max. so:
Total runtime: 1 Hour, 53 Minutes.
(This comprised of 1 hr, 9 mins on turbo and 44 minutes on high.)
The cells voltage, taken immediately after being removed from the torch at this point all measured 1.15V - probably bounced back a little in the seconds between turning the torch off and taking the measurement. During testing I left it on constantly without switching it off at any point.
I used water cooling.

This is on par with what others have found. I'm happy enough with that. It's not what I initially was led to believe when I read the Fenix runtime promo page, but it's within the ANSI/NEMA FL1 spec, and it's a good usable hour on turbo. Although it does get up over 60 degrees C, and I don't know how hot it would get if it wasn't cooled off during that time. The temperature cools down nicely when it is on high mode.

Here is the ANSI/NEMA FL1 standard that Fenix conform to, for testing runtime:
2.4.5 Initial and End Point
The initial reading is taken at 30 s of continuous operation. When using a light measuring device, ensure
that the distance from the front surface of the device to the sensor is identical for initial and end point
measurements.

The light is operated continuously without any off time. (NOTE—If the device has an auto shut off
mechanism, the operator must restart the light within 15 s for the test to be valid.)

Periodic light measurements and corresponding time values are recorded, and the end point is reached
when the output value reaches 10% of the initial value for each sample.

Record run time for each sample.

2.4.6 Final Calculation
Run Time is the average run time of the 3 samples. A run time less than one hour is reported in minutes;
more than 1 hour but less than 10 hours is reported in hours and minutes, rounded to the nearest 15 min.
For 10 hours or more, report the run time only in hours. Standard rounding rules apply.

The 1 hour, 50 minutes runtime using 9000mAh NiMH cells claimed by Fenix is in keeping with the above parameters.
But a large chunk of that time the light is in high mode rather than turbo, but having been switched on in turbo mode, and still being greater than 10% of the original output, the time is still counted towards the total.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Interesting - I guess my 78 minutes on turbo I got last night is the best I'm gonna get, and it isn't worth complaining to my vendor about batteries or the charger then...

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK70 was loaded with 4 Tenergy White Premium 10,000 mah NIMHs and gave me a continuous run without switching off as below.

The times are when they dropped down a level, so full runtime was 2hrs 45mins.

TK70 LEFT RUNNING WITH NO BREAKS!

Turbo 1hr 21mins.
High 1hr 29mins.
Medium 1hr 32mins.
Low 1hr 44mins.
Cutout 2hrs 45mins.

Great feeling in the hand like a Maglite, good interface, plenty of usable spill and good throw combination.

But my smaller favorite light that is nearly as good is the Thrunite TN31, fits in my back pocket as well.

Cheers

Last edited:

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
I am using TENERGY premium 10.000 MAh. And it's around 1h30mins on turbo,but did't go all the way until out so still 1st round using.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, checked it again. 20 minute increments with 20 minutes to cool off inbetween...

78 minutes on turbo total.

I used my ZTS tester:

-After 20 minutes exactly, the 4 D cells tested at 80%
-After 40 minutes exactly, the 4 D cells tested at 60%
-After 60 minutes exactly, three 4 D cells tested at 60% and one tested at 40%
-After 78 minutes exactly, One cell had 40%. one cell had 20%, and two cells had less than 20%.

Remember, for cells run in series: It's only as good as your worst cell !

fnsooner

Enlightened
Ran continuously until TK70 drops from turbo to high-
Tenergy Premium 10,000 mah = 85 minutes
Tenergy Centura LSD 8,000 mah = 74 minutes
Accuevolution LSD 10,000 mah = 61 minutes

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran continuously until TK70 drops from turbo to high-
Tenergy Premium 10,000 mah = 85 minutes
Tenergy Centura 8,000 mah = 74 minutes
Accuevolution 10,000 mah = 61 minutes

I now have been using Powerex Imedion 9500 mah NIMH D cells and I wish I knew about these before.

These are the Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells that retain the charge for a very long time and drain very slowly.

I will have to do a Turbo run test with these.

I can put these in things like my TK70 and know it will have most of its charge after a full year of about 85%.

The Tenergy Whites or Blues will drain down to nearly nothing in about six weeks.

Not very good when you need to rely on a flashlight for power outages and noises outside.

The times I did in my test above were with freshly charged Tenergy White Premium 10,000 mah cells.

I see from your tests that you are already using Tenergy LSD Centura 8000 mah cells and at least you can rely on them.

You got a pretty good run out of the Centuras considering the Capacity differences, 10,000 vs 8000 mahs.

I will use nothing but Imedion LSD cells in future.

Has your front glass yellowed a bit yet after running on turbo for a long time during the tests?

My TK70 is slightly yellowish around about where the 3 leds shine through.

Imedions are great IMHO.

I will test the runtime on my Imedion 9500 mah ones soon and post it back here.

Cheers

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I will test the runtime on my Imedion 9500 mah ones soon and post it back here.

Cheers

Looking forward to your results.

I too like the LSD D cells better. Even if the runtimes are slightly less initially after a charge. 90% of my D cells are LSD.

You would be surprised how well the Tenergy white Premiums hold their charge though, even after three months. I have been doing some LSD tests on mine.

shipwreck

Enlightened
My old thread back to life I see :)

I haven't done anymore runtime tests since I got my 78 minutes. After reading some other threads, it didn't seem like I would get much more than that. Some people get a few minutes more, some a few min less.

I only use most of my lights on turbo, so that was the only # I was interested in - not total run down as it dropped from level to level.

I rarely use my TK70, as I've found the 830 lumen output of the Jetbeam BC40 to be more than adequate for most of the stuff I do outside every night. It's much smaller too.

But, my TK70 was really bought as a "toy" - to have something that bright. I know the batteries self discharge on their own, so periodically, I do recharge them.

harro

Enlightened
With fan cooling, i can manage about a flat 60 minutes on turbo, out of a set of good quality 9000 mah. NiMH D's. The amount of charge that each cell takes is generally within about 100-200 mah of each other after such a run. No fan, and a warmish day ( 25-30 Celcius ) and it will drop to high after only 12-15 minutes

CyberCT

Enlightened
WIth a test of submerging the TK70 (and all my Fenix lights since they're IPX-8 waterproof) in a bucket half full of cool water, I got 1 hour 9 minutes on my best yielding (battery matched) Tenergy blue label D cells. I usually go wiht high quality batteries but since these were so cheap on Ebay I couldn't resist for my D cells.

Don't forget, you can buy that 1 D cell adapter that comes with the TK70, separetly from the light. I bought one and can load 5 D cells in it. Yes it's bulky for deep woods camping but if you camp next near your car at a park, or use it to snorkel at night, that additional runtime without that annoying high pitched squeal is golden. And camping you will be able to spot ANYTHING with this light and your friends will be dumbfounded.