Looking for a good p60 dropin, nuetral to nuetral-warm, around 80 to 100 lumens or so

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
I nabbed myself one of the Solarforce L2T Stainless Steel limited editions and want a good drop in (will buy once my funds recover from christmas)

The main thing i want is low heat output. I dont want my drop in to overheat if i need to use it for extended periods of time on high. I had considered looking for a multi-mode dropin, but i still want to be able to run it on high for atleast an hour or so. I know that extremely bright drop ins will generate a lot of heat, so thats why im limiting total output to what i need. Maybe a 30/80/200 lumen drop-in might be better now that i think about it... and just run medium most of the time.

This is mostly for walking home at night from work. There are several areas wheres theres no street lights and a lot of alleys. 1 particular area runs right next to a dried up river bed thats frequented by coyotes and javalinas so i want to make sure i can easily distinguish them from a distance.

edit: Ive never had a package say "Inbound to Customs" anyone know what that means? Being held? just passing through?

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the low output Malkoff modules such as a M61WLL (80 lumens) or M61WL (140 lumens) even better will have zero chance of overheating. Oveready.com has them in both warm and neutral flavors to boot. Ive had both and prefer the M61WL. The Malkoff quality cannot be beat either.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Please be aware that a Malkoff drop-in won't fit snug in the body of a Solarforce host without the use of aluminum or copper tape wrapped around the module. I tried putting an M61 in my L2T and found the module seat (where the module sits in the body) to be bigger than a Surefire host. Without a proper ground connection, the module won't turn on.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Although the Malkoffs -L's are top-flight units and the best reduced-output P60 LED module out there, since they are designed for SureFire hosts they are not a very good fit with the SolarForces.

You want to check with kosPap, he's the only person on CPF (to my knowledge) that has experience with building reduced output P60's, ~350 mA drive currents IIRC. Send him a PM or better yet, check his sigline. He also did a brief sale thread for one of these dropins a while back that has more information:
FS: Low Output P60 Module for Surefire G2 flashlights

Furthermore, these would be a better physical fit to the SolarForce hosts.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fit of Malkoff's in a Solarforce is a little loose, and it varies from host to host. Something to consider... All that would be needed to stop any contact issues with a Malkoff module in a Solarforce host is one of the Large outside springs from any standard P60 modules. Very inexpensive fix. Since we are talking about low output, heat is not an issue so wrapping in foil or copper tape is not needed after the contact issue is taken care of.

Nailbender can do low output modules too, and his are good quality. Should not be any fit issues with those.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an L2X extended from LightHound this week, with a ThruNite high CRI XPG 3 mode module, and it's a great set up. Its modes are about 15, 60, and 240 lumens as an educated guesstimate, based on the known outputs of other lights I have. I haven't run it very long on high yet, so I can't say for sure how hot it will get on the high end, but the tint and beam profile are excellent. And, they're very affordable.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be interested in a Lumens Factory high CRI drop-in? It is available in 3 output settings and throw is not bad. My friend bought one and I am kind of impressed with it.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
a malkoff low or low low would be the best option.

but i do know that nailbender can offer it too. he can modify an existing driver to run at a lower current.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to the P60 game, but I thought the XML could be driven at around 2A, and provide around 500+ lumens with little concern about heat? Here is a useful reference. The OP might want to post something in nailbender's thread to see what he says. I just bought a 1 mode from vinhnguyen54, he offers 3 mode drop ins as well, you may also want to ask in his thread. I think it depends on how much throw you are looking for. The XML can pump out more lumens and offers the efficieny, but if you are really concerned about throw you will need to look at the older emitters.

EDIT: If you look at the custom drop in threads that I linked to and aren't familiar with the terminology and such in the OP don't worry about it. They are very helpful no matter how general or complex the question, as everyone seems to be in this forum.

Last edited:

TXflash

Newly Enlightened
The main thing i want is low heat output. I dont want my drop in to overheat if i need to use it for extended periods of time on high.[/QUOTE said:
I have been doing a run time test with my new M61L in my 6P for the last 4+ hours (2 x CR123A Lithiums), not even warm to the touch, body or bezel. With the stock SF P60L I could definitely feel the body tube getting warm, not so with the Malkoff. So far I am loving this drop in!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to note that a warm flashlight is not a bad thing, it means that the flashlight body and drop in are effectively drawing or wicking heat away from the LED. If the LED is not drawing much power then the light may not get warm, if it is drawing a lot of power then you want the heat to be transferred to the flashlight body. The LED can be damaged from excessive heat, or decrease light output. Extreme lights and drop ins get really hot because they cannot dissipate the heat sufficiently, but in general, a warm light is fine.

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I was going to say Malkoff, but I just tried my M61W and M61L-HCRI in my (alum) L2T, and neither would turn on.
I'm sure they can be made to work, but sometimes I don't want to have to tweak.
I'd have Nailbender build me up exactly what I want (emitter, tint, driver, modes, reflector, copper tape.) I love my Malkoffs, but I couldn't be happier with the drop-in NB made for my L2P.
Best of luck with your decision..
- Tom

Last edited:

TXflash

Newly Enlightened
TyJo, so is the Malikoff not as efficient transferring heat to the 6P body, or is there another force at work here? This is my 1st experience with drop-ins

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
TyJo, so is the Malikoff not as efficient transferring heat to the 6P body, or is there another force at work here? This is my 1st experience with drop-ins
It's not that. Malkoff M61WL and M61LHCRI draws lesser current and therefore runs cooler than the non L version. What you get is a nice balance between output and long runtime.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that. Malkoff M61WL and M61LHCRI draws lesser current and therefore runs cooler than the non L version. What you get is a nice balance between output and long runtime.
Exactly. TXflash, Malkoff is one of the best, if not the best, when it comes to drop ins. Pjandyho described it well, the Malkoff "L" versions don't run hot and you don't really need to be concerned with the heat sinking. From my understanding the drop in is built extremely well and doesn't put out enough light & [wasted heat] to worry about heat, but is extremely efficient (puts that amount of light for a long time). With high output drop ins (which Malkoff Devices also makes), you need to make sure that heat gets from your emitter/LED, to your drop in assembly (think metal casing), to your flashlight host (think outer metal casing), to the air. If not it is contained in the drop in and or LED, and it will overheat and performance is decreased.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
you need to make sure that heat gets from your emitter/LED, to your drop in assembly (think metal casing), to your flashlight host (think outer metal casing), to the air. If not it is contained in the drop in and or LED, and it will overheat and performance is decreased.
Something like this, lol:
2rfynbd.gif

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the info, i really appreciate it. Sorry for the long delay. Havnt had much time to get back on the forums between being a bit under the weather and working retail. Long hours this time of the year make it a pain.

Thank you again for everything, ill definitely be doing a bit of homework between Malkoff and Nailbenders stuff!