How accurate are the LED flashlight manufacturers' brightness claims?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen this posted much here so far, but I've read and heard a few people say that many/most of the LED flashlight manufacturers greatly exaggerate the brightness of their lights.

I've been happy with the lights I've bought so far, and they seem pretty bright. Also, when I compare the brightness levels of different lights to each other, and compare the claimed brightness in lumens, I have not really seen much of a discrepancy... But......If looking at a beam that is supposedly 200 lumens, I am not able to say, "hey, that's not 200 lumens, that's only 187 lumens!":naughty:

What do you think?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen this posted much here so far, but I've read and heard a few people say that many/most of the LED flashlight manufacturers greatly exaggerate the brightness of their lights.

I've been happy with the lights I've bought so far, and they seem pretty bright. Also, when I compare the brightness levels of different lights to each other, and compare the claimed brightness in lumens, I have not really seen much of a discrepancy... But......If looking at a beam that is supposedly 200 lumens, I am not able to say, "hey, that's not 200 lumens, that's only 187 lumens!":naughty:

What do you think?

The ANSI FL1 standard is pretty good, and is being adopted by many manufacturers.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exaggerated output is much less of a problem now than it was a few years ago.

I did see a serious offender today in the store--a Stanley LED spotlight advertised at "520 lumens" but containing only a single Cree XR-E. You can cut that claim in half, at least.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Most of the manufacturers have adopted the ansi/fl1 standard but still, their products seem to be overrated. So far in my tests, have found a lot of flashlights to be dramatically out of specs, unfortunately.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the manufacturers have adopted the ansi/fl1 standard but still, their products seem to be overrated. So far in my tests, have found a lot of flashlights to be dramatically out of specs, unfortunately.
I have wondered about this. It is easy to put a label on the box and manual saying you have the lumen values tested using the ansi/fl1 standard, actually having them may be a different story for some manufacturers.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exaggerated output is much less of a problem now than it was a few years ago.

I did see a serious offender today in the store--a Stanley LED spotlight advertised at "520 lumens" but containing only a single Cree XR-E. You can cut that claim in half, at least.

I am disappointed. I had a measure of trust in the Stanley brand name... No more.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK trading standards would/could be all over them if needed.Depends really on how they rate the output.I prefer my lights to be rated in lumens but often in the UK they can/do use candle power.(such as 10 million means didly squat to me)

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by their exagerated claims , it seems that most of the manufacturers descriptions should be considered for "The Pullitzer Prize for Fictional Literature".

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i trust manufacturers descriptions 100%

why would they lie?

in fact, i believe everything everyone ever told me. i'm that kinda guy... :duh2:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
i trust manufacturers descriptions 100%

why would they lie?

in fact, i believe everything everyone ever told me. i'm that kinda guy... :duh2:
OH YEAH !

I've seen that "Wiley Coyote" cartoon character on the kids TV ...
evilgrin07.gif

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
The best way of telling how much light is produced is a proper runtime graph which shows the drop-off (if any) over time. Even the ANSI standard doesn't tell the whole story.

Latest posts