*New Jetbeam BC-25: 650 lumens on high, but with an asterisk... What does it mean?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the Jetbeam site to look at the new BC-25(http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/bc25.aspx), and I was reading the specs when I noticed an asterisk beside the high brightness setting.... It said: "After working for about 5 min in high mode(650 lumens), the BC-25 will automatically activate, and reduce the output approx. 430 lumens"

I wanted to make sure I understood what they were saying there, because I've seen several examples where foreign made items sometimes come with erroneous or innacurate info, so I emailed Jetbeam to ask them what they meant exactly with this asterisk.

I thought that maybe what they were trying to say was that the light would drop down 'TO' 430 lumens, but what they seemed to be actually saying was that the light would drop down 'BY' 430 lumens, to 220 lumens after 5 minutes run time.

If it were to be the case that the light will plummet down to 220 lumens from 650 on high after 5 minutes, then I'm not really interested in this particular light.

So, I emailed them, and a few days later, I received a response from a guy there who said he'd look into it and get back with me promptly, but that was about 2.5 weeks ago, and I have not heard anything yet.

So, why would it be necessary for a 2 - CR123 LED light to reduce it's brightness by 2/3(430 lumens) after only 5 minutes, and how common is this type of thing? This is the first I've heard of it in regards to a light of this size and power.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is saying that it will go to 430 lumens. Jetbeam usually designs their lights to work effectively at a high output without having to worry about monitoring the time you run it.

aimxplode

Enlightened
It is saying that it will go to 430 lumens. Jetbeam usually designs their lights to work effectively at a high output without having to worry about monitoring the time you run it.

This is what it is likely saying, but the BC25 description is worded poorly.
"After working for about 5 min in high mode(650 lumens), the BC-25 will automatically activate, and reduce the output approx. 430 lumens"

It doesn't clarify if its reducing the output TO 430 lumens, or reducing BY 430 lumens.