New Inforce weapon light

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Was browsing tacticalleds.com and found that Inforce has a new light series out. An interesting shaped weapon light. One battery, 125 lumens. It looks like it is meant for long guns only. If they are good this would be a nice alternative to some of the surefire lights
$150.00
http://www.inforce-mil.com/wml.php

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple of the Inforce hand held lights when they first came out. They are OK but have a plastic lens that scratches way too easily the first time you put it on a pack with other stuff. Also, the pushbutton on the tailcap is very hard to actuate. This brand is so low profile in the public domain that I thought perhaps they had gone out of business.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Not at all, they just specialize in government purchases now that they sold off Inova. I have the 9VX and if this light is as good of quality as mine, it's a good option for the price. We are looking at them for our patrol rifles we keep in the units. The part we liked was that they can be mounted left or right handed so one light works with all shooters.

A far as the plastic/glass debate: Mine is Lexan, and I drop it, beat it, and generally abuse it every day. No scratches. Streamlight and Pelican use Lexan also, and they have been a LE standard for years. Even Gene uses Lexan in his big lights because they are stronger (Wildcat comes to mind). Glass is great for flashoholics who want the best light transmittance possible, but really for abusing, the plastic never breaks (I have lost many a glass lens in my lights over the years and never a plastic one). I also think a few of the new lights (some are upgrades of older models, not really NEW lights) have mineral glass lenses too.

Really I wish they were not so low profile in the public sector as they make a really good light with rock solid build and their new electronic switches are fantastic and quiet. Nothing like the old Inovas (although I really liked my T4). They use PWM for their low mode instead of constant current, but for what it's for, it hasn't been an issue. The regulation on high is great as is runtime, and the TIR optics are really good for close to mid lighting (blended hotspot to spill).

Another + for these lights is the material they are made of doesn't scratch easily and is light and durable. O-rings are beefy and it just feels good in the hand.

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I was thinking about buying one light along with two rails, one for a shotgun and one for a rifle. Then whichever I take out I bring out the light off my belt and slap it on that gun. I dont know how well it would work on a pistol though.
Bkumanski, do you think they would work mounted on a pistol, like say a glock?

Of course I could always get a standard pistol light and mount it to a rifle or shotgun too.

Too bad inforce doesn't make anything along the lines of a rechargeable.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
We are looking at them for our patrol rifles we keep in the units. The part we liked was that they can be mounted left or right handed so one light works with all shooters.

I agree. Considering it for the same reason.

Nowadays 125 lumens is rather low though, for a light designed to be mounted on a patrol rifle or other kinds of long guns. I did a search for a 2x CR123 version but this turned out negative. If Inforce would offer a 2x CR123 version in the 200-250 lumen range, I'd pick one up right away to try it out. For both left / right handed use it sure is innovative and does look promising.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an interesting design. Just a bit low poweres. They need a dual CR123 version at about 300 lumen on high

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Curious how hard it would be to operate when switching to support hand shooting??? We set up our rifles so that our lights can be activated either right or left handed.

bkumanski

Enlightened
I was thinking about buying one light along with two rails, one for a shotgun and one for a rifle. Then whichever I take out I bring out the light off my belt and slap it on that gun. I dont know how well it would work on a pistol though.
Bkumanski, do you think they would work mounted on a pistol, like say a glock?

Of course I could always get a standard pistol light and mount it to a rifle or shotgun too.

Too bad inforce doesn't make anything along the lines of a rechargeable.

I don't think a pistol would work. The button is in the wrong place and is designed for thumb press.

We were wondering about the lumens, but keep in mind the standard for Surefire weapon lights like the modified xenon 6Ps on MP5s and the like are about the same and they have been used for years. Emmissive Energy states the optic is geared a little more throw oriented, so I'm not too sure yet without actually holding one and putting it on a foregrip. The photos on their site also show it being used in several configurations, left and right handed as well as with a pistol fore-grip.

I don't know if it is the BEST option, but with a surefire setup with rails running over $400 per rifle, this looks to be a viable, AFFORDABLE alternative.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't know if it is the BEST option, but with a surefire setup with rails running over $400 per rifle, this looks to be a viable, AFFORDABLE alternative.
SureFire's M300A is $345 on SureFire.com and like the WML-W (white light) is a single-CR123A weapon-mounted LED light so I'm not sure where you get "over $400" from?

BTW, SureFire has offered LED WeaponLights for several years - so the standard has moved on to models such as the 328LM for the MP5 you mention. Interestingly (?), SureFire designed their TIR optic to produce a stronger more punchier beam for it's WeaponLights to help the LED's light cut through the muzzle blast, smoke and dust etc.

Affordable as is so often discussed is different to and so much more than price.

It'll certainly be useful to gather feedback from those with experience with SureFires and other weapon-mounted lights who have used the WML in comparable situations.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
My Inforce INF-B-W 150 lumens had to be sent back 3 times the 4th time I did not even get a reply from Emmisive Energy. The only reason I got this light was because it was made of that carbon fiber composite. This light expensive and is not legoable at all. I dont even know if rechargables will fit/work. The only thing cool was the case it came with which I dont even think they come like that anymore. Surefire FTW. Here is the one I have.

DSC02310.jpg

Can compare to Surefire when life depends on it.
Surefire on my Mossberg 500A
mossberg2.jpg

Surefire on my Springfields
DSC03016.jpg

DSC05245.jpg

bkumanski

Enlightened
SureFire's M300A is $345 on SureFire.com and like the WML-W (white light) is a single-CR123A weapon-mounted LED light so I'm not sure where you get "over $400" from?

BTW, SureFire has offered LED WeaponLights for several years - so the standard has moved on to models such as the 328LM for the MP5 you mention. Interestingly (?), SureFire designed their TIR optic to produce a stronger more punchier beam for it's WeaponLights to help the LED's light cut through the muzzle blast, smoke and dust etc.

Affordable as is so often discussed is different to and so much more than price.

It'll certainly be useful to gather feedback from those with experience with SureFires and other weapon-mounted lights who have used the WML in comparable situations.

Well, the M500A is what would fit the M4s and is $550 and all the pistol grip ones are listed over $600. The LED options are all about 150 lumens too with the incans at 220. We have the incans on our MP5s, and they are bright enough for close quarters stuff, so I'm not complaining about the lumen issue (I like the incan on the MP5 myself BTW). The M300A is just the light with no foregrip, so we need either an option that incorporates one or we have to purchase a railed foregrip separately (over $100 for a decent one, more for one that is of OE quality). Surefire makes great weapon lights and we have no complaints. But for as often as they are used, on patrol rifles (Our SWAT guys do have the better gear) finding the money in today's budget crunch is a challenge. With 30+ rifles to equip, $150 difference per rifle is significant, unfortunately.

BTW Biglou, what problem did you have with yours? I have the 9VX and haven't had any issues and have been using it for about 1.5 years. I use rechargeable batteries in mine, but I have a 3x123 setup. Size actually pointed out to me a while back 2 17500s should work and would sag less than 3 123s and be comparable. Lo and behold, it worked great and I have been running li-ions ever since. They will not fit the 18s but if you step down to the 17s they slide right in. Yours is a 2 123 setup, so I don't know if 1 17650 produces enough voltage to stay in regulation or even click on.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
The X300 isn't really an option here. That is a pistol light. The "M" lights are for rifles and sub-machine guns like the SCAR, M4, ACR, and M16s.

NYShooter

Newly Enlightened
The X300, as well as the X400 Light/Laser combo, are both used extensively on long guns (including 12 gauge shotguns). That is also true of the TLR-1, which is also listed as a handgun light, but is probably the light most used on shotguns.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
I did some reading up on this light... The user interface on the Inforce WML seems to be similar to an Inova T4 I once had (175 lumen version). For 'momentary' you have to press the switch completely and hold it down for about a second. If you let go too fast, within that time frame, you'll activate constant-on. When constant-on is activated and the switch is pressed again fast, you'll access 'low'. Double clicking will activate strobe.

To me this kind of user interface is far from ideal for a weapon light. In my opinion a classic hard-press forward clicky, or even better a 'dead man's switch' (pressing the tailcap for momentary, twisting it for constant-on, as on the SureFire 6P, Z2, C2, C3, Elzetta ZFL-rotary and others) are far superior in this regard.

Last edited:

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
...With 30+ rifles to equip, $150 difference per rifle is significant, unfortunately...

Our 400th rifle just hit the street within the past few months. Our ofc's have to be designated a rifle operator with an average of two per squad throughout the city. Funny thing is, the city is going to mandate/require all of the rifles to be outfitted with lights, but they aren't going to supply them. All operators have to purchase their own.

Gotta love politics and government budgets...

In situations I've been in where I've deployed my rifle (at least twice a month on average), vehicle headlights and spotlights have played the major lighting role. Because rifle deployment is more of a planned/deliberate event, by the time I'm set up and ready to go a perimeter has been established and the 3 C's are in full effect (contain, control, communicate). My rifle light has not played much of a role as of yet. My pistol light, on the other hand, I use on a regular basis.

Successful rifle lights are going to be those previously proven in combat, and those which have great support from the manufacturer.

Newly Enlightened
Lexan has its weaknesses, years a go I had a streamlight stinger and after a few years of use the center of the lens had warped from the heat of the bulb. I'll stick with glass, any hit hit hard enough the damage the glass will damage the lexan, and I can easily replace a damaged glass lens.

The 125 lumen rating is a no sale for me. Although it is a nice looking light.

bkumanski

Enlightened
The X300, as well as the X400 Light/Laser combo, are both used extensively on long guns (including 12 gauge shotguns). That is also true of the TLR-1, which is also listed as a handgun light, but is probably the light most used on shotguns.

Really, never seen them used like that in a LE setting...ever. I suppose it may work, but you would have to get the tape switch adapter (added cost). No one uses that combo that I've seen in CA, and I go to COPSWEST every year. Not to sure how you would operate the switch either as it is a two way toggle having to push up to activate. That seems awkward on a rifle where the light will be sideways usually. I prefer a tape switch like the Surefire though, which might work. Still have the original problem of needing a railed foregrip, so a more budget minded light like the INFORCE or one with an integrated foregrip (like the Surefires) are needed (at significantly higher cost). As far as warping goes, the LEDs don't get hot enough to warp a lexan lens, not with the sub 300 lumen lights anyway, so that isn't really a concern. SUrefire seems to make the most consistent lights, we just wish they would lower the price about 25%!

Last edited: