Small one cell CR123 EDC: Logan, Malkoff VME or ...?

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I need a little input.

I am looking for a small one cell CR123 EDC / Backup. It would be small enough to drop in a pocket and forget about it. I am looking for high quality, reliable and durable. I don't really know how many lumens but it seems 70 - 100 is about right for most uses. Anything more it becomes too bright and less runtime. But having the option for more lumens and throw may come in handy. I have narrowed it down to a couple of makes and models. The Peak Logan QTC SS pocket with narrow optic and maybe the warm CRI. Or the Malkoff one cell twisty flat bottom with the VME head and M31L or M31LL.

I have used the Malkoff VME M31L but not the M31LL. Is there a large difference in noticeable lumens (usefulness) and runtime?

I have no experience with the Peak Logan. What can I expect for output, runtime and beam in comparison to the M31L?

Plus, does the Logan carry much smaller than the Malkoff?

I have looked at HDS and McGizmo but right now I am thinking smaller.

Any pictures or input is helpful. I am open to more makes and models.

Regards,
Nick.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a nice "small" cr123 light, take a look at the Lumapower Incendio. It is small but quality. It has some nice features with the glow in the dark tail cap, glow o-ring in lens, and stainless steel components.

LGT

Enlightened
A quark mini might fit your needs. It has a low of about 1, medium 45 and a high of 210. They are small enough to fit in your pocket without knowing it's there. 4sevens also has a high cri version of this light which will give a much better rendition of colors then a cool white. Good luck with whatever light you buy.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lights you are looking at. The Logan is more of a spotlight beam compared to the Malkoff. Pocket wise you will notice the Malkoff more since the Head is a P60 size.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an HDS rotary as my EDC and it is very comfortable in my pocket, it isn't big IMO. I can't recommend HDS enough. If that is too big I think the 4sevens Quark 123 mini is about as small as you can get.

jorgen

Enlightened
My favorites are the Logan and Sunwayman v10r. The Logan is smaller but the V10r has a clicky. Somdetimes I carry an ITP A1.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Maybe take a look at the SureFire E1B, too .... There seems to have been a "wave" of them recently available over on the MarketPlace, and one of these might be great for what you are describing above. I just got my second E1B recently, and am always amazed at the throw from this small single-CR123A torch!

As for the Logan versus the Malkoff (both great choices, "buy both" :) .... ), if you get the Peak with variable QTC - then you can essentially adjust output against runtime, depending on your needs, compared with the fixed output of the Malkoff.

Also, for the Logan, if you want the smallest size possible - you can get a (3.2") CR123 body tube, instead of a (3.75") 17500 tube. The larger tube does allow the use of more flexibility in battery types, however (as you can run AA, AAA, CR123, RCR123, 10440, 14500, or 17500 cells, with a set of adapters).

On Li-Ion power, the Logan may approach about 300 lumens max. On a CR123A primary instead, and set as low as possible ("moonlight") with QTC, a runtime test exceeded 375 hours, I believe.

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
If you want a nice "small" cr123 light, take a look at the Lumapower Incendio. It is small but quality. It has some nice features with the glow in the dark tail cap, glow o-ring in lens, and stainless steel components.

I second the Lumapower Incendio, bit in spite of the cheesy glow-in-the-dark components, not because of it. No top-tier, serious manufacturer uses GITD material, only cheap chinese lights. And the reason is because its a flashy novelty, not realyl useful because it doesn't "hold a charge" for long. Just for show, no go, so you'll never see it on a Surefire, HDS, or even a Jetbeam or a Nitecore for that matter.

But fortunately the Incendio can be gotten with black replacement parts. I have had a couple of them and have swapped out the GITD components both times. And upon disassembling them in this process, its easy to see how they are charging so little for these. Relatively flimsy plastic & aluminum inside. But, I still appreciate them very much, as they have solid pocket clips, neutral CCT options, and your choice of emitter options. Plus they're lightweight, affordable and they look good. Its not fair to compare them side-by-side with my HDS, but still a great value. Just ditch the cheesy GITD. Nothing says "budget light" like the lime green ring...

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lights you are looking at. The Logan is more of a spotlight beam compared to the Malkoff. Pocket wise you will notice the Malkoff more since the Head is a P60 size.

Basically, I would get a little more throw with the Logan. I had an Eiger SS. The quality seems okay but I was not a fan of the beam.

Which one do you prefer?

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Depends on the situation, the Logan has the QTC and is adjustable while the M31LL has a beautiful overall beam. If I choose one to carry it would be the Logan. I have a CR123 and 17500 Logan, the 17500 is versatile because you can use 3 different size batteries. AA, CR123, and 17500 plus rechargeable in the list sizes.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Basically, I would get a little more throw with the Logan. I had an Eiger SS. The quality seems okay but I was not a fan of the beam.

Which one do you prefer?

If "white wall" beam quality is a consideration for you, you are likely to prefer the Malkoff. The Malkoff M31L(L) has a LOP reflector, versus a small optic in the Logan.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Depends on the situation, the Logan has the QTC and is adjustable while the M31LL has a beautiful overall beam. If I choose one to carry it would be the Logan. I have a CR123 and 17500 Logan, the 17500 is versatile because you can use 3 different size batteries. AA, CR123, and 17500 plus rechargeable in the list sizes.

I lean more towards the one mode with good runtime type of light. As long as it is not "too" bright or glare. In the Logan I would go for the one CR123 short pocket body for the size. I really don't have a need or want for a 17500 battery.

If "white wall" beam quality is a consideration for you, you are likely to prefer the Malkoff. The Malkoff M31L(L) has a LOP reflector, versus a small optic in the Logan.

I must say the M31LL is nice. It has enought output to be useful in a area that already has light. For example, you need to look in the shadows of a closet or looking under the hood of a car. I am guessing but the M31LL is about 2 hours of runtime.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Would one benefit from the size difference between the Malkoff or Logan vs. an Aeon? I don't see any benefit in runtime or is there?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Would one benefit from the size difference between the Malkoff or Logan vs. an Aeon? I don't see any benefit in runtime or is there?

The VME (Malkoff) bezel will certainly be larger than that of the Logan. Runtime of the Malkoff will be fixed, unlike the variable Logan.

The Aeon is a CR2-powered torch (but the Nautilus uses a single CR123A battery).

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
I thought of the Nautilus but I can get the Aeon easier. Considering they are still made.

The VME (Malkoff) bezel will certainly be larger than that of the Logan. Runtime of the Malkoff will be fixed, unlike the variable Logan.

The Aeon is a CR2-powered torch (but the Nautilus uses a single CR123A battery).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it's any help or not and I'm certainly no expert at this. But I really like the look of the new EagleTac D25 series, the D25C uses a single CR123A and seems pretty tiny, yet with impressive performance. I certainly plan to get one of their D series lights in the new year.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
I got to bump this back to the top with another question.

I had an Peak Eiger and sold it do to the blue tint on the lower levels. Am I going to have the same problem with the Logan or is it not has noticeable? I have read that the Logans are more true white then blue. But I just need to confirm the comparison to the Eiger.

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Agree that the lumapower incendio (v3u xm-l neutral) is a great 1x123 light, and definitely recommend it, especially bright on a rechargeable battery. One of my favorite UI's with the ability to lock an output level in if preferred. Chrisdm sums up my thoughts about the glow in the dark elements perfectly ... I switched mine out for black immediately. It is nice that lumapower gives the choice though, and provides the tweezers and makes it so the light can be dismantled as needed.

I second the Lumapower Incendio, bit in spite of the cheesy glow-in-the-dark components, not because of it. No top-tier, serious manufacturer uses GITD material, only cheap chinese lights. And the reason is because its a flashy novelty, not realyl useful because it doesn't "hold a charge" for long. Just for show, no go, so you'll never see it on a Surefire, HDS, or even a Jetbeam or a Nitecore for that matter.

But fortunately the Incendio can be gotten with black replacement parts. I have had a couple of them and have swapped out the GITD components both times. And upon disassembling them in this process, its easy to see how they are charging so little for these. Relatively flimsy plastic & aluminum inside. But, I still appreciate them very much, as they have solid pocket clips, neutral CCT options, and your choice of emitter options. Plus they're lightweight, affordable and they look good. Its not fair to compare them side-by-side with my HDS, but still a great value. Just ditch the cheesy GITD. Nothing says "budget light" like the lime green ring...