Asperic for multi-LED modded Mag?

Rexlion

Enlightened
I have a Mag body with 6 XM-L, about 4K lumens. I wish it were somewhat less floody... not super-focused like a DEFT, just less spill and more throw. Would an aspheric lens do any good? If so, is there a particular FL range that would be likely to give acceptable results? Also, what is a typical light loss % for a decent, glass aspheric? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Nos

Enlightened
You will need one lens per LED. Otherwise you will get a seven-die-projection and not a real beam.

Rexlion

Enlightened
But if a single lens of somewhat longer FL were used (so the output is not so well focused), wouldn't the multiple projections sort of blend together and create a fairly good, throwy beam?

ahorton

Enlightened
No, It'll never be a pretty beam.

What sort of optics/reflectors do you have in it now? Most optics/reflectors come in a range of beam widths. You may be able to just change some of them for narrower versions.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Yup, you all are right. So very right. After a lengthy search I finally found where I'd stashed some smaller aspherics from surplus shed. The largest of the batch is a 41mm diameter, probably about 50mm FL, and I tried it. YUCK! Multiple hotspots that diverge, not converge, so at a 40' distance they are already many feet apart. Totally unusable!

tx101, I see what LED Zep was doing with the separate aspherics for each one, all in a custom holder. I'm sure that is spendy. Oh well, what I have already is pretty fun. This light makes my car headlights (on bright) look weak. Thanks for the info!

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just playing around one day and this was what I got with a P60 quad drop-in and a ahorton aspheric kit.

IMG_0072.jpg

Latest posts