Standard QUARK vs XML?

Ok I work for the railroad and I use my quark (XP-G) every day at work. i LOVE the beam pattern as it is perfect!!! it is the perfect balance between throw and flood.. I came across the XML and was thinking about getting the 2aa neutral white one.. as far as performance? is this a complete upgrade? I have read reviews saying it is very floody!? Will i still be able to clearly illuminate an object 100 yards away like I can with my standard QAA? or should I stick with XPG I like a large hotspot that is still able to be thrown..

kreisler

Banned
good questions, i am interested too.
i have the XML head (AA, AA2, 14500) and i just can say that the hotspot is very very large. Larger than the Xeno E03's. selfbuilt did a review (with beamshots) on CPF.

good questions, i am interested too.
i have the XML head (AA, AA2, 14500) and i just can say that the hotspot is very very large. Larger than the Xeno E03's. selfbuilt did a review (with beamshots) on CPF.
does yours throw very well? And can u use a standard NIMH AA or Alkaline if you are in a pinch?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I've had the quark turbo 2AA and i now own the quark X 2AA. I can tell you that the X is very floody. While the light may still hit 100 yards, it won't be as clear as the xpg imo. Since you seem to like the xpg quark and find that it is good for your job, i see no reason to buy an X (even though i prefer the X).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see on Selfbuilts review the XM-L version is around 2900k lux and I've seen another review that put it around 2600k, this put the estimated throw around 100 meters. IIRC the XP-G version was somewhere around 3500k lux which is a little better than the XM-L but the X is so bright for AA light it's almost impossible not to recommend it I have the Quark AA2 X and I think the 100 meters is about right so 100 yards shouldn't be a problem, the review is linked below. I really like the "X" AAx2 it rivals and even beats the total output of many 2xcr123 light's, if you really want a AAx2 thrower though look at the Eagletac P20A2 R2 version with over 7k lux it's probably the best AA thrower you can get that uses a reflector.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2-X-Review-(XM-L)-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L puts more light out the front, but not as concentrated. Better for up close work. If your looking for the throw, stay with the XP-G. Tighter hot spot with less spill.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
does yours throw very well? And can u use a standard NIMH AA or Alkaline if you are in a pinch?

due to the size of the head of the quark, the smaller led should throw better than the XML one. the XML is good for more floody light in a wider area, but not too good on the distance throw. You'd have to go with the TurboX or bigger to have decent throw from an XML.

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
this is what has me in a crossroads with the new emitters they are not as tight and throwy as the older ones. while the xml lights everything up my older q5 just hits the spot. you just have to have them both. get the xml and switch them off! or of!
i wonder how the u2 is going to perform since i have not seen any feedback about it.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Also beware that XML lights tend to have tint variation across the beam where as most XPGs have nice uniform color across the beam.

Jan

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also beware that XML lights tend to have tint variation across the beam where as most XPGs have nice uniform color across the beam.

Jan

As of late, most of the XML lights i have received have the cool white beam. I think they got rid (or sold off) the lights with the greenish tint.

And yes, the XPG's had the more uniform tint, except for the S2 which unfortunately, started the "green" trend. haha...

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime will be a little shorter on Max and High modes with the XML.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal non-scientific experimence says the Quark XM-L has about double the diameter hotspot, throws as much and the output is noticeably brighter, but the difference is not extreme. Judging from your comments, you should like it.

OK!! I got my XML neutral white, and i LOVE it except for one thing : The tint kinda sucks compared to my other neutral whites!!! ALSO the edge of the corona is almost cool white as well. The light itself also has a kinda green tint to it. Is this normal or should I contact 4sevens??

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK!! I got my XML neutral white, and i LOVE it except for one thing : The tint kinda sucks compared to my other neutral whites!!! ALSO the edge of the corona is almost cool white as well. The light itself also has a kinda green tint to it. Is this normal or should I contact 4sevens??

:ironic: That's Part of the tint lottery. You can always try to exchange it...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark-X-hotspot.jpg

That is what you get with the latest neutral Quarks.
I have a new Neutral X Tactical and a new Neutral MiNi AA2. They are both less yellow and slightly greenish than previous neutrals I got.
New Quark X neutral left, older Quark MiNi AA neutral right.

-

ANSIcoolwhitecolour.jpg

The older neutrals use the ANSI 5 tint LEDs. The phosphor peaks in the yellow.
Q25Aspectrograph.gif

The current Quark neutrals (and the PA40 neutral) use ANSI 3 or 4 tint LEDs. Cree uses a different phosphor that peaks in the green just like the cool whites. The green is not noticeable in the cool whites because the strong blue overpowers everything.
coolwhite95spectrograph.gif

-

This greenish tint is not limited to Cree. I bought some 'bright white' Philips A19 light bulbs and they also have a greenish tint. Philips uses Lumileds Rebel LEDs.

Latest posts