FENIX TK21 U2 - Major Brown Spot in Hot Spot.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new FENIX TK21 U2 - and as the thread title suggests there is a major brown spot in the hot spot.

Its almost like a brownish circle directly in the center of the beam

So what is up with that? is it normal for a small throwy XML?

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Ive seen people saying about green, yellow or dark hot spot but not brown... Thats wird... Mine tk21 is a little green but it doesnt bother me when using it outdoors.... Fenix tint lottery is getting very odd lately. :/

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Yea, its not so much the tint.

Everything looks cool white except the hotspot which looks kinda dirty brown.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
ok, i tried taking a pic but my crappy camera cant pick it up.

Basically the area that I scribbled in is a kind of dirty brown with a darker brown half ring on the edge of the scribble.

Otherwise the beam is a very cool white.

DSC00758.jpg

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've asked a manufacturer about this. Apparently some (even most) LEDs emit warmer light at a lower angle of projection. This light is focused by the reflector into the centre of the beam and appears dimmer, darker... browner. It is not a donut, which is a reflector design issue and an actual absence of light, not an LED issue. If you get a bare emitter and light it up, you can see the warmer light fading into cooler light the higher the angle of projection is.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Thats a interesting info :) by the picture i noticed your beam is whitter than mine... When you said brown i thought something very brown(like darker) and i imagined something very different :) i think your tk21 meets the normality :)

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I didn't know it was normal.

I have 2 other Fenix lights, one with an XML (TK35) that doesn't have the brownish ring right in the center of the hotspot.

I thought it might have something to do with the TK21 having a much smaller reflector