Anyone made bike mount for large flashlight? (eg, fenix tk41)

elliot.c

Newly Enlightened
I have just brought a Fenix tk41 and was wondering although I dont really use my pushbike much has anyone got any links to bike mounts custom made or avalible to buy for a torch this size as I would love to give this a go on my handlebars :D (I know this is probably quite heavy for this)

bobbagum

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly but....
tk35_04.jpg

tk35_03.jpg

tk35_05.jpg

Length will be your problem, and in my opinion the TK41 willl be a bit too throwy for biking use,

As for the light mount
Start with something that'll mount to your handle bar
this setup uses extra bottle cage mount from local cycle shop, that'll give you a mounting point to further mount your rig, some'll even provide quick release mechanism in case your rig won't be able to be detached from the light quickly

Last edited:

elliot.c

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replys and I have a similar Bianchi too :D but mynes a banana yellow colour :/

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Nice set up there! Not figuring out how to mount it was one reason I didn't buy a TK35 - I may have to rethink that now!

Not exactly but....
tk35_04.jpg

tk35_03.jpg

tk35_05.jpg

Length will be your problem, and in my opinion the TK41 willl be a bit too throwy for biking use,

As for the light mount
Start with something that'll mount to your handle bar
this setup uses extra bottle cage mount from local cycle shop, that'll give you a mounting point to further mount your rig, some'll even provide quick release mechanism in case your rig won't be able to be detached from the light quickly

elliot.c

Newly Enlightened
My quick temporary job to see what it would be like and yes there was far too much throw and not enough area in front lit up and I caused a car to come to a stop so I need to work out how to make a mount that will allow me to take the torch off/put it on quickly and aim the beam further downwards :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Soda

Newly Enlightened
Man, i hate it when people have extremely bright, throwy lights on their bikes (600+ lumens). They always blind the crap outta me and you can see them coming for miles.

fyrstormer

Banned
There's not much point. Any light as big as that ought to have a remote battery pack if it's going to be mounted on a bike. You don't want to have something that big strapped to the handlebar where you can smack it out of alignment with one inaccurate hand motion. Take a look at Light & Motion's offerings.

fyrstormer

Banned
Man, i hate it when people have extremely bright, throwy lights on their bikes (600+ lumens). They always blind the crap outta me and you can see them coming for miles.
For people who can't be bothered to aim their lights down, I do the same thing I do for cars with their highbeams on -- I either turn on my highbeams, or if I'm walking, I point my flashlight directly in their face at full brightness until they get the message.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
fyrstormer said:
For people who can't be bothered to aim their lights down, I do the same thing I do for cars with their highbeams on -- I either turn on my highbeams, or if I'm walking, I point my flashlight directly in their face at full brightness until they get the message.

Yeah but i was on a mountain road, and if i blinded them with my M1Xm, i'd cause an accident. ie, falling off a cliff

elliot.c

Newly Enlightened
I think this will be more for off road use unless I can make a decent mount and have it pointing downwards (even the spill part of the beam seems too much when I asked someone to hold the bike and I walked away looking at it). I used it on low mode and only selected higher settings when there were no cars around and that seemed fine but its nice to have the power when there is nobody around :D. This will be my last post on this thread as im sure there are more important conversations... Thanks guys..

CyberCT

Enlightened
Believe it or not, Fenix's own bike mount the Fenix Bike Flashlight Mount AF02 will work with almost any Fenix light.

However, there is a modification you must do.
First you will be using it upside down. The hinging side of the mount will attach to the handlebars, not the other way around which is what Fenix says.
Second, you need to go to Lowes and get two bolts that are longer and thread through the stock mount.
Third, you will have to get a small bolt and lockwasher to replace where Fenix's mount hinges. Stock, the top and bottom are very loose. With a lock washer and small bolt, I made them extremely tight and hard to turn. But I situated the mount to the angle I wanted before I tightened the bolt.

I could fit my TK40, TK45, and TK35 extremely snugly on my bike afterwards without movement or shudder going over bumps.

EDIT: BTW I found the TK35 to be the perfect bike light. It has the best balance between throw, flood, and form factor. And when biking through the wind, the flashlight does not get as hot on turbo as when it's just sitting in one place on turbo.

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Believe it or not, Fenix's own bike mount the Fenix Bike Flashlight Mount AF02 will work with almost any Fenix light.

However, there is a modification you must do.
First you will be using it upside down. The hinging side of the mount will attach to the handlebars, not the other way around which is what Fenix says.
Second, you need to go to Lowes and get two bolts that are longer and thread through the stock mount.
Third, you will have to get a small bolt and lockwasher to replace where Fenix's mount hinges. Stock, the top and bottom are very loose. With a lock washer and small bolt, I made them extremely tight and hard to turn. But I situated the mount to the angle I wanted before I tightened the bolt.

I could fit my TK40, TK45, and TK35 extremely snugly on my bike afterwards without movement or shudder going over bumps.

EDIT: BTW I found the TK35 to be the perfect bike light. It has the best balance between throw, flood, and form factor. And when biking through the wind, the flashlight does not get as hot on turbo as when it's just sitting in one place on turbo.

Would you be able to post some pics of your setup please?

pick

Newly Enlightened

cool. When the run time for strobe/SOS is not listed, what would the expected run time for the listed output be? for ex: 820 lm in strobe and 109 lm in SOS for the TK35 but no run time is listed for those outputs...what would a reasonable time be for those outputs in those modes??

CyberCT

Enlightened
My bike is in storage right now and my mount is also in there somewhere. I don't have time today or tomorrow but I'll see if I can find it and dig it out. Basically I brought it into Lowes with me and fitted up with what Lowed had in their drawers in the nuts and bolts section. From memory, not mentioned in my guide above, I think there is two layers of the rubber lips on one end of the mount. Both will have to come off (the thicker one that was over the smaller one glued onto the plastic I did not use again). Take all the rubber grippys off or at least loosen them which I think are held on by glue. That way you will have access to the nut and bolt underneath that that hold the top and bottom pieces of the mount together (which makes the top piece turn from the bottom piece). Bring it to the store with you and you should be able to get the right pieces.

As for how long strobe lasts I don't know. However it would look like a light show if you kept it on while riding and might give you or someone else a seizure so I don't recommend it haha.