Streamlight Sidewinder - Changing the factory power-on settings

madflytom

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I had some unused amazon gift cards laying around, so what better thing to buy than a new flashlight, right! Well, I'd been eyeing the Streamlight Sidewinder for a while now, and took the plunge. I purchased the sportsman model with the Red, Green, Blue, and White LEDs (not the military model with the IR, as I don't have nightvision and wanted another LED option I could actually see!).

The only nib I have with it right now is that I was hoping I could change the default setting to turn on first to low power, and then upon holding the button cycle it up to high power. 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be using this light on low power to read a map, book, or sneak past the baby's room at 3AM on my way to get a glass of water...so it would be more convenient for me to have it start at low upon the first click. I know the Military version starts on low and goes up from there...so I was hoping there was a quick, easy mod to make this happen. Anyone know if that's the case?

Thanks for any info!

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have the same model and same wish as you. I fly a 747 worldwide and the sidewinder has been an ideal pilot's light except for the power starting up in high. I actually e-mailed Streamlight and suggested a civilian pilot version without the IR, as we civilians don't fly with night vision. Even when we go into Afghanistan. That was only about a week ago, so I have not heard back from them.

You may find this laughable, but I suggested the Blue LED be replaced with a Ultraviolet LED. The reason?? We civilian pilots stay in a lot of hotels. I just want to be able to examine the room and sheets.

As a "work-around" solution, I hold the light against my hand or leg and turn it on. I then hold the button for a 1-2-3 count. That gives me the low setting without blinding everyone.

But if you find a way to modify the UI, let me know.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I had a long flight the other day from Ethiopia to Hong Kong. I was looking at my sidewinder and thinking about this problem when something occurred to me... Rather than trying to change the UI of the sportsman model, might it be easier to start with the aviation model and just replace the IR LED with a red one?

Just some food for thought.

The Flasher

Newly Enlightened
I'm also very interested in finding a way to change turn-on brightness. Any info on this topic in the last year?

Latest posts