Is the surefire 6p original worth buying?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
i recently broke my streamlight scorpion and want to replace it with a surefire 6p. However looking at the price, i have come to question the value of this product. Is it really worth 70-80 bucks for an incandescent light which has no electron regulation? I also want to know the overall quality of this light, its ergonomics, and it's reliability.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Depends on what you want out of your light. If you're looking for the latest and greatest, then you'll be disappointed. If you want a light that's a classic and something that's "lego-able" then it's a good choice.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
In short, yes.

In long, in its stock format its an outdated light with an incandescent module. With modifications it becomes a very respectable light and one that is fun to have, use and modify.

Go to oveready.com for potential modifications to the 6P Original body, and malkoffdevices.com for a new engine for your light.

Most lights around now are better than the 6P in its stock format, but there's a reason why its voted as the #1 must-have light here.

Note: Since it has a small bezel, don't expect much throw out of it. It works better as an "everything" light, with some throw and some spill, and is prized for its SureFire body (durability and top notch fit and finish) while allowing a person to keep up to date with LED technology since manufacturers will undoubtedly adapt that new technology to the P60 (stock emitter) shape, allowing you to put it into your light.

I'd get one just for the heck of it, since its not overly expensive either.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's inexpensive and reliable.
Pick one up from the MP, you'll save money that you can put toward a Malkoff dropin.

DO IT

dougie

Enlightened
This is quite a loaded question. The answer depends on the criteria you need or want from a flash-light? As you have already stated you wanted a light to replace your scorpion and were looking at a Surefire 6P then on a like for like basis the 6P is IMHO far superior. However, you then state the drawbacks of laying out 70-80 bucks on an incandescent light? The question probably should have been is the 6P worth the money compared to a LED light? As it wasn't I would be inclined to answer that the 6P brand new is not worth the money you are prepared to pay for an incandescent light. However, as others have said the 6P can be the basis for a number of Lego conversions and is probably one of the best D26 hosts out there. Get one second hand from the MP or the bay and you will have a quality host that can be used for a number of drop-ins which will far outlast and out perforrn the Scorpion.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the 6P. You won't regret it. You can reconfigure it any way you want. It's a good size and has great potential.

Dougcov

Newly Enlightened
It's tough, what you want to carry if the other side is using nukes.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really worth 70-80 bucks for an incandescent light which has no electron regulation?
How many other incans with regulation do You know at all?
In that price range?

I advise for
1st: switch from 2*CR123 to 1*18650
2nd: from incan to mulitlevel led

the 6P is tougher and has a nicer feel than a Scorpion, but also bigger (more diameter) and more "edges", the Scorpion is much better to pocket.

crescentstar69

Newly Enlightened
I carried a 6P with the 6R rechargeable kit as a police duty light for over 10 years. Great setup for the time, but I don't know how many times I dropped it and broke the incan bulb assembly. Big $$ every time. Get a 6P LED.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I love my 6P but would recommend buying one that has already been professionally bored for an 18650 or buying one of the aftermarket bodies that is made for 18650 (like fivemega).

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a 6p from the marketplace, or look around for a "closeout" deal on one. Then get a Malkoff M61LLW or -LW or used M60LLW or -LW drop-in and you have just about the best and simplest general-use flashlights around.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire A2 is regulated. It's the only regulated hotwire made by Surefire.

speedsix

Enlightened
If this question was asked in 1995 I would say go for it. Being as it is not 1995, it would be odd (to say the least) to seriously consider paying $80+ for a light that produces 60 lumins of light for only 60 mins using $10 worth of batteries.

No pocket clip, doesn't tail stand, bulbs burn out, expensive hard to find batteries, low power, expensive, outdated, inefficient, clunky, heavy, only one mode, and terrible twisty tail cap. What's not to like? LOL !

Surefire makes a LOT better lights now than that old relic. If you are going to pay $80~ for that light and then another $50-60 to put a decent head on it, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a better light out of the gate? I can see modding one that you already owned but why on earth would you buy a new one to mod? Huge waste of money since the old parts are not worth anything to anyone.

AaronG

Enlightened
Personal opinions aside, it seems like there are a lot of closeout sales on old incan models. Also lights come up quite regularly in the MP. Surefire lights seem to hold there value fairly well though. Also the nice thing about this system is that you can replace the module without replacing the whole light.

I can't see many people using this light in stock format. Most people still using a 6P around here are running an LED drop-in. So you also have to consider another $20 to $80 for a drop-in (depending what you choose)

The biggest contender for low cost alternatives are solarforce hosts. The L2 is similar to the 6P and the L2T is similar to the Surefire C2. They come bored to fit a 18650 or 2 CR123 cells so if you want to use them with CR123 cells roll a piece of paper around the cells to prevent battery rattle. There are a ton of low cost accessories to go with it too.

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
I agree. Your already spending $80+ dollars.. why not get a light that fits your requirement as an LEO from the start. + you have to spend money on top of just buying the light?? It doesnt add up. What i recommend as an LEO or MP myself with a simplistic Tactical

UI is the Sunwayman T20C at 438 lumens. No need to twist heads or activate and operate the light with a 2 switch system, this light is alll operated at the tail switch. I seriously recommend this light for LEO's because of how easy it is to use all with single handed operation. Push the tail switch to activate light. Hold in tail switch to cycle low, medium, high. double tap for instant access to strobe whether off or on. Up to MIL spec. Solid light for under $100 also using primary CR123, RCR123, or 18650.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
You guy keep saying why not buy a light that is already together but what compares to a 6P with Malkoff??? Nothing in my opinion... Plus it is getting difficult to find single mode lights and that's what I like.