On holiday with Surefire E1E and E2E

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Tomorrow I go on holiday to Amsterdam and, of course, planning my lights was the hardest part.
On my previous holidays I used to take either a Fenix T1 or TK11, and both served admirably: solid output and good throw. But for the last months I feel nostalgic towards the incan Surefires and that's why an E1E (with MN01) and an E2E (with MN03) will accompany me. Together with a Surefire SC01 spare battery carrier as I will use primaries.
When I joined CPF in 2006, the E2E was a pocket rocket and I guess it will still do what it is intended to do...

It feels kinda strange to watch the demise of all these famous incans :( so I will "honor" them in my own way :sigh:

Kind regards,

Joris

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Have fun on your trip. I love me E2E and it is my EDC as well. I run a lumens factory 110 lumen lamp with a pair of RCR123's.

I'm always on the fence about upgrading it to an LED but haven't changed it yet and probably won't anytime in the near future.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great choice 22 hornet!

When I travel on holiday (vacation) I usually go with the tried and true basics. An Arc AAA, E2e, and a Tikka headlamp. The E2e travels well and I don't really need a bright light in most of my adventures. An SC3 with a MN02 completes the setup.

Have fun.

kelmo

LGT

Enlightened
Only a flashaholic would suffer this problem. I also can't decide which lights to take along with me on vacation. But I must say one of the two, or sometimes both the E1e and E2e, along with a couple of LED's are on my list. Your post made me :)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choices. I really love the E2E. I think my favorite car-camping and just out-on-the-beach or by-the-fire light is the E2E with the MN02. Just enough nice warm light.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

The first night, I went walking in a large, rather dark, park, with the E1E MN01 only. In darkness it is actually useful. 15 lumens doesn't seem much, but it's good throw allowed me to see and read signs and objects at well over 20 meters/yards and it's spill allows to illuminate the path right in front of you. I think the E1E with it's standard bulb is a good "nightwalker" for outdoor.

During the improvised "runtime test" while taking a shower in a dark bathroom, it maintained it's output rather well and started to drop off, visibly, after one hour. This was with a Sanyo primary cell. The advertised runtime of 90 minutes is true. At the end of it's runtime it is still somewhat like an old minimag with an old generation bulb running on nimh cells. I also could compare it's usefulness with an old BS led ARC AAA.

I also brought a Lumens Factory HO-E1A (40 lumens, primary) bulb but I haven't used it thoroughly, yet. Someone else once posted that the output of this LF bulb compares to a SUrefire MN02 bulb, but with a shorter runtime.

The E2E (MN03 and Surefire primaries) is still being "tested" but I already have the impression that the humble MN01 maintains it's output better with less visible decline than the stronger MN03.

Keep well,

Joris

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
stop thinking about your torch, and think about having a great time in amsterdam!
have a great trip!

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
Just started using the MN02 bulb after AOW put me on to it. It looks like more than the claimed 25 lumens out of it and a supposed run time of 2.5 hours. If it goes close to 2 I'll be impressed and a worthwhile change.

Hope you're enjoying your trip. Nice lights you took with you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would previously have had a hard time seeing how perfect a pairing the E1e and E2E are, but having been in possession of an E2E recently, I carried this pair for a while last month and found them to be not only a very useful combination, but very enjoyable to use as well.