Save a ZL from an exploded alkaline.

finn

Newly Enlightened
A bad kirkland alkaline took out my h51. I've been trying vinegar and cleaning brushes, but there are no signs of life. Does anyone have tips for saving one of these from a battery explosion?

This experience is making me seriously consider one of the cr123 lamps.

pblanch

Enlightened
Or a L91 lithium AA or perhaps some eneloops.

Good luck on the revival or a new buying opportunity.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Learn from my experience and DO NOT spray in a liberal quantity of CRC CO contact cleaner, it did something to the LEDs on two of my lights and now they are both less bright and a funny yellow/green colour (most unpleasant).

Sounds like the electronics have been damaged. Maybe a candidate for radical surgery to see how ZLs are put together ?

finn

Newly Enlightened
There is occasional led flash when powered, but I've cleaned it about as well as possible. Think it might be finished.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
occasional led flash sounds like it may be that the electronics are ok and you have bad contacts now... I second the deoxit and maybe some Very careful sanding down at the positive contact, using a jig with an AA battery diameter that is smooth and maybe a 400 or 600 grit surface centered with the same diameter as an AA + nub... but before doing anything that major you should make sure that it's not just corrosion at the cap (-) end. there is the unanodized rim of the flashlight body for the neg contact, there is the gold ring inside the cap, there is the spring face that presses against the butt (-) of the battery.

Is there visible corrosion at the electronics (+) end?

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
No personal experience, but other posts have referenced reimbursements from battery manufacturers (Duracell or eveready) in similar situations. May want to check w Costco before you get too aggressive with cleaning, and save the cell that caused the issue...

And pick up eneloops while you are at Costco!

Best of luck.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Do not underestimate using a proper contact cleaner. Especially since you are seeing a flicker, there is still a chance to revive it, IMO.

I had a light that was intermittent like you describe which I cleaned as well as I thought possible with q-tips and alcohol. It did not help. I purchased some deoxit and used that to clean it and it restored the light to function like new.