Help with a MagCharger, it keeps going dim and I don't know why

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really hoping someone can help me here. I recently dug out my NiCd powered MagLite MagCharger. After a couple of house moves it had got packed away and forgotten for a few years. But I want to revitalise it and maybe even LED upgrade it.

But I've got an issue with it, it seems to have a lose connection somewhere. When you rotate the head the light will turn off and on and quite often become quite dim. If you shake the light, twiddle the head or apply downward pressure on it, it will some times sort its self, sometimes not.

I've stripped it down bar removing the switch and reassembled, but can't see anything obvious causing it.

My hope is, someone here will have a bright idea on what might be causing it, or what I should investigate next.

Thanks.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please excuse the *shot in the dark* but I'll bet that a new battery would work wonders! It never hurts to clean and use Deoxit Gold on all contact points.

EMC2

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what would rattle, but you should check the battery contacts for corrosion, voltage and perhaps a shorted cell.
You should also verify that the charger produces DC and has good contacts too.

Howecollc

Enlightened
The light has been sitting for years with the head most likely in the tightly focused position which fully compresses the spring which sits under the bulb holder, causing it to eventually stay somewhat compressed even when you de-focus the light. It's losing contact mostly at wide focus isn't it? Watch the video below; the spring sits under the part he removes at 3:07. The spring puts upward pressure on the metal part removed at 3:07 which then makes contact with the bottom of one of the metal pins which are imbedded into the plastic slug which you push the bi-pin bulbs into. A weakened spring causes intermittent contact. I believe you can pull the spring out at the 3:07 point in the video without having to continue with removing the switch from its housing. When you get the spring out you need to stretch it out to whatever length seems appropriate to fit back in under the bulb holder with plenty of tension; seems like I extended mine about 1/2 an inch if I remember correctly. I've fixed two of my MagChargers this way; it works like a charm.

If you end up needing a new battery be sure and get the new NiMH stick that Mag is now using as OEM. 5 years ago people had to wait for forever to get in on a group buy for this type of battery that is now standard issue, easy to get, and dirt cheap for what it is.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light has been sitting for years with the head most likely in the tightly focused position which fully compresses the spring which sits under the bulb holder, causing it to eventually stay somewhat compressed even when you de-focus the light. It's losing contact mostly at wide focus isn't it? Watch the video linked to below; the spring sits under the part he removes at 3:07. The spring puts upward pressure on the metal part removed at 3:07 which then makes contact with the bottom of one of the metal pins which are imbedded into the plastic slug which you push the bi-pin bulbs into. A weakened spring causes intermittent contact. I believe you can pull the spring out at the 3:07 point in the video without having to continue with removing the switch from its housing. When you get the spring out you need to stretch it out to whatever length seems appropriate to fit back in under the bulb holder with plenty of tension; seems like I extended mine about 1/2 an inch if I remember correctly. I've fixed two of my MagChargers this way; it works like a charm.

If you end up needing a new battery be sure and get the new NiMH stick that Mag is now using as OEM. 5 years ago people had to wait for forever to get in on a group buy for this type of battery that is now standard issue, easy to get, and dirt cheap for what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Jr1jcCRirEI
Thanks ever so, that sounds exactly like what the issue is. Think I'll have a go at fixing it over the holidays.

Yeah I was planning on upgrading to a NiMH pack and a better bulb, but wanted to make sure it worked properly first!

Thanks for your help :)

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just realized you're the same guy from the MC 5761 thread. I guess the spring fix worked out then, huh?
It sure is. I really should have posted back and said thanks for the info and link to YouTube. That was exactly what it was. And with the Mag bulb is working fine, although I think you might be right about the battery not being great, so a new NiMh one is something I really must stump up the cash for soon.