Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" condition?

chris975d

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" condition?

For those of you who should be just now receiving your Ti2 gold and black V10R's, was yours pristine out of the box? Mine just arrived today, and I'm kind of shocked at how it looked. It looks like it has pocket wear on it, yet is brand new and comes in a large, Pelican-style foam filled hard case.

Here are pics of how mine arrived this morning:

dsc0527f.jpg

dsc0524hi.jpg

dsc0525j.jpg

For those of you that have your golds in hand, how did it look upon opening? Is what I'm showing above what I should have expected? I know these types of lights are going to show machining marks, etc, but this doesn't appear to be that.

Gavin S.

Newly Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" conditio

That's a drag for a collectors piece to come in that condition. Looks like it was handled-used a bit.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" conditio

Not acceptable....My standard Ti do have machine marks but over all on surface, it was finished properly like how they should. From your picture it is not acceptable. You need to contact dealer or Sunwayman.

chris975d

Newly Enlightened

Not acceptable....My standard Ti do have machine marks but over all on surface, it was finished properly like how they should. From your picture it is not acceptable. You need to contact dealer or Sunwayman.

I've already contacted the dealer and they are looking into it for me. Although I'm not sure if anything can be done at this point (if indeed these marks are deemed out of the ordinary), as these lights are a very limited number, and obviously wouldn't have backstock available for a replacement.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my Jetbeam TCR2 7 months ago, kind of like your Sunway photo above; not quite as bad.
After I gave it to my wife, and she mixed it with her keys, it got much worse than your photo above; albeit in just a week.
Somehow, Ti is a soft surface, and is easily scratched by coins and keys...

kreisler

Banned

Somehow, Ti is a soft surface, and is easily scratched by coins and keys...
i received my Titanium itp a3 eos yesterday, brand-new and pristine. From youtube videos i knew that it would get scratched easily, e.g. when you take off the pocket clip and try to reverse it. so i did it, and yes it got scratched.

i am realizing that my anodized aluminum bodies (e.g. Xeno E03, with Fenix LD20 clip) dont get scratched this way. anodization chips off when the part hits the ground (concrete, stone, ..) but no scratches thru clip removal.

hmm.

aau007

Enlightened

Scared by your post. I immediately took mine out and put it under a magnifier to examine. Although mine has some tiny hair line marks here and there, the worse one is less than your last photo and I can barely see it with naked eyes.

I do have to admit that it is not as highly polished as I would like it to be given Sunwayman stated that it is supposed to be "high-end jewelry level titanium anodized, this light is extremely solid and amazingly scratch-resistant". My impression also is that the light should be even more scratch resistant than normal Ti light given the extra Ti annodization. It is definitely not as polished as pictured on their website but we all know how photos can be.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I agree, when I received my titanium light, it was not as highly polished as I would like.
It was also not as polished as their photo on their website.
It even seemed second hand like the photos in the Opening Post, and so heavy and tiring in the hand after a while, so no more Ti lights for me, but initially the jewelry like photos really attracted my wife's attention...

chris975d

Newly Enlightened

Scared by your post. I immediately took mine out and put it under a magnifier to examine. Although mine has some tiny hair line marks here and there, the worse one is less than your last photo and I can barely see it with naked eyes.

I do have to admit that it is not as highly polished as I would like it to be given Sunwayman stated that it is supposed to be "high-end jewelry level titanium anodized, this light is extremely solid and amazingly scratch-resistant". My impression also is that the light should be even more scratch resistant than normal Ti light given the extra Ti annodization. It is definitely not as polished as pictured on their website but we all know how photos can be.

The part of their website that you quoted (I also bolded it above) is my biggest issue with the light. It's nothing like that (or their pictures) when in hand. It does seem like anodized aluminum is far more scratch resistant than Ti. But I already sort of knew this, being in the golf business. Ti is used routinely the the making of driver heads (golf clubs), and after a few weeks of having new stock on my shop's floor, the soleplates of most of the Ti clubs are scratched all to heck from people just lightly swinging/brushing them across the carpet of the shop.

sassaquin

Enlightened

My gold V10R Ti2 arrived yesterday and has scuff marks similiar to yours, but not quite as bad. I am extremely dissapointed and angry at the poor quality control on a $200 limited edition light. I may try to polish them out, but am fearful of making things worse. As chris975d said, probably nothing the dealer can do, so I guess I either live with it or get a refund. Other than the scuffs, my light is very beautiful and has no other cosmetic or functional issues.:(

egrep

Enlightened

OMG, This is devastating. Who would imagine the collectors light of the year would end up coming off like this? The photo in the first post may not be representative of the rest of the lights. Pictures I've seen so far seem to support this but the follow up posting on this thread by sassaquin needs photos or it didn't happen. (grin, but true...)

I so admire SWM and their products that I've got to assume this is anomalous and does not represent the vast majority of these lights as shipped. SWM just doesn't do that. But with growth often comes..... issues. SWM, say it aint so?!

IMO, SWM ought to as a *matter of pride* make whole those (few?) who received sub par lights, without requiring them (us?) to forfeit their light. They need to recall them for refurbishing at SWM's sole cost. They ought to provide some 'sweetener' to offset this damage to their reputation. I'd suggest a light or some kind to tide them over while they wait for their precious to return.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I expect the best of SWM and I'm sure they'll deliver.

chris975d

Newly Enlightened

My gold V10R Ti2 arrived yesterday and has scuff marks similiar to yours, but not quite as bad. I am extremely dissapointed and angry at the poor quality control on a $200 limited edition light. I may try to polish them out, but am fearful of making things worse. As chris975d said, probably nothing the dealer can do, so I guess I either live with it or get a refund. Other than the scuffs, my light is very beautiful and has no other cosmetic or functional issues.:(

I'd hold off on polishing them out if I were you, and contact your dealer (with photos) instead. Attempting to polish them out, as you said, may make things worse, especially if you wear through the gold anodizing. Your dealer can/should be able to forward the issue to the manufacturer. Where did you purchase from?

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened

If any light I had purchased came like that, I'd send it back regardless of how much it cost. The fact that it happened on a $200 light does make it more painful though.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd hold off on polishing them out if I were you, and contact your dealer (with photos) instead. Attempting to polish them out, as you said, may make things worse, especially if you wear through the gold anodizing. Your dealer can/should be able to forward the issue to the manufacturer. Where did you purchase from?

You're right. I tried to polish the mats finished areas with my gold and porcelain finishing rubber tips, and it was good, but made it worse when I inadvertently slipped at certain areas.
We need some kind of a hi speed mop, to polish the fully polished parts...

Biomeccanoide

Newly Enlightened

I received the Ti2 gold yesterday with problem similar at the chris975d's problem. In the head I found a scratched area. It's not a big area but for a limited edition flashlight this is a big loss of value.
6544512571_f9cf92b047_z.jpg

6544510605_667d944fc0_z.jpg

I buyed this flashlight in europe at link removed and I e-mailed them about the warranty service but they not reply me! It's not good customer service. :thumbsdow

Last edited by a moderator:

aau007

Enlightened

Now I need to pull out my jewel 10x magnifier to take a closer look. The OP's first photo seems to look having polishing problem inside the groves too (those silver color slots in the body).

BTW, do you guys notice that when you press the button, it wiggles all around? Then when pressing, feels like metal scratching metal. Is it a nature of Ti switch? Sorry for asking, I never had Ti switch before.

Wouldn't it be cool if that SWM logo on the Ti switch is lit up in the dark like a tritium? No, it doesn't, at least not for mine.

sassaquin

Enlightened

OMG, This is devastating. Who would imagine the collectors light of the year would end up coming off like this? The photo in the first post may not be representative of the rest of the lights. Pictures I've seen so far seem to support this but the follow up posting on this thread by sassaquin needs photos or it didn't happen. (grin, but true...)

Oh, but sadly, it did happen.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

swan

Banned

How different do they look with a real photo-send it back, poor machining, poor color.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

At first I felt bad not buying one, but after seeing this thread I feel much better not spending my money.

sassaquin

Enlightened

BTW, do you guys notice that when you press the button, it wiggles all around? Then when pressing, feels like metal scratching metal. Is it a nature of Ti switch? Sorry for asking, I never had Ti switch before.

Never had a Ti switch either, but it makes my skin crawl-similar to hearing fingernails down a blackboard.:eek:

Latest posts