Fenix PD32 vs LD20 beam comparisons?

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have an LD20, but I'm considering a PD32 because just going by the datasheets, the PD32 provides ~50% more lumens and 50% more battery life with lithiums. However, I'm planning on using the light on a bicycle and am wondering if there are differences in the beam. From what I can gather, the PD32 seems floody, but I'm wondering how that would translate in comparison to the LD20 for my needs.

Also, I'm thinking of using the Panasonic 18650 or 18650A and would welcome advice in that regard.

Thanks,
Toshi

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
PD32 is throwier than LD20. 18650 cells will give you a little bit longer runtime + they are cheaper to use.

troika

Newly Enlightened
I have a PD30 and I think it would make a great bike light. Floody (which I like), but a hot center with sort of even melt into the flood. PD32 should be better still.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I have used various bike lights (Fenix LD20, TK35, TK40, TK41, TK45, PD31). If you're willing to spring for just little more money, you absolutely can't go wrong with the TK35. It has the absolute best balance of throw, flood, and spill in a compact size and weight when riding at night. The TK45 might be a little better with flood but it's bulkier and heavier on my handlebars so I don't use it for that. And I used Fenix's own bike mount (the newer one not the older one) and mounted it backwards on my handlebars using a few longer bolts I got from Lowes. It works great! If you need more info on it I can point you to the thread I described it better.

oedius

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new here. I found this forum while doing search of LD20 vs PD32. I am mainly interested in which one would be best for tactical flashlight. I was planning on buying two; one for both my wife and I. Now, I am also wondering about the TK45. How about the differences in switch location for mode selection? Is the PD32's brightness that much more noticable than the LD20? I didn't know about TK45 until seeing it mentioned on above post. Also, can all of the lights be mounted on bicycle handlebars?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

GearDog

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new here. I found this forum while doing search of LD20 vs PD32. I am mainly interested in which one would be best for tactical flashlight. I was planning on buying two; one for both my wife and I. Now, I am also wondering about the TK45. How about the differences in switch location for mode selection? Is the PD32's brightness that much more noticable than the LD20? I didn't know about TK45 until seeing it mentioned on above post. Also, can all of the lights be mounted on bicycle handlebars?

Thanks,

Steve

I am also interested in tactical flashlights, and am looking at the same two mentioned by Oedius. I will probably get the PD32 instead of the LD20 because of brightness. If someone is interested in the TK35 or TK45, you can see the relative size differences with the PD32 at this link. The TK35 is considerably larger and I expect the TK45 is at least as large.

CyberCT

Enlightened
THe TK45 is quite a bit larger than the TK35. However, if you're going for a bright compact light that uses 18650s I would highly recommend the TK35. It's larger than the PD32 but it's still quite small and the output is amazing. THe high mode on that light is about the same as the PD31's turbo, but with more than double the runtime. And turbo is on the TK35 is pretty crazy. Turn that thing on when camping and eveyone will be pretty amazed lol. I have hte PD31 and while it's great I think my TK35 is the best flashlight I own because of the form factor, size, and output (and price).

Latest posts