Armytek Predator flashlights

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
I just want to know if these are a good flashlights ? They have high output an really look interesting .
Thanks for your input .
Bill

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own one and I like it. It depends on what you are looking for. It is the most complex light I own as far as UI and programming are concerned, which is fun for me but it can be frustrating if you aren't looking for that level of programablity. The output that they quote is emitter lumens. These are higher then actual OTF (out the front) lumens. OTF lumens are lower due to inefficiencies in the reflector, heat from the LED, inefficiencies in the electronics, etc. There are several flashlights using the XML emitters which have higher outputs that are available currently.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're EXCELLENT! very well built, I love the programmability, very light for the size and solidity and the throw is amazing for a medium sized light (VERY deep reflector). I have to disagree about Tyjo's statement on the lumen output... the output was measured by SelfBuilt and the output is comparable to my TK40 (630 emitter lumens =~441 lumens, hardly distinguishale from 500). The predator throws as far as my TK40 with a much smaller spot, obviously.

I have an extensive review coming up about the predator in which I compare V.1.0 and V.2.0 (mostly programming differences and better finish)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Predator is a great light, and has great throw and lumen output. I like the High CRI option and have been happy with my light. I was just noting that there are a lot of options out there, like the Zebralight SC600. Armytek claims 500 max lumens, I thought selfbuilt measured ~370 OTF?

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
Greetings from BELGIUM,
I've been using the Orange Peel wide textured model for a month or so. Very happy with my light.
One of the most beautiful beam I 've ever seen. I really love the versability of this torch. Nice and very useful Low-Low level.
Once you understand the way to program this thing, it's not that difficult, after all. Imagine, I had to understand it from English (I'm French speaker). There are very helpful videos on Youtube (see OfficerSheepDog).
One little downside in my case: my unit came with a little lack of anodization (kind of tiny white marks on the bezel). Otherwise, it would have been perfect.
I'm looking forward to their future models...

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I haven't long had my predator...I was unsure when I got it, as it was going to be the most expensive flashlight I had bought. But I love it! It certainly has a unique feel in the hand with the finish. And using with gloves is a great feel to, as the battery tube is slightly smaller or thinner than some other 'throwers' I have, but is perfect.

It does need a bit of dedicated time put a side to programme the UI, but I did not get to frustrated with it, it was interesting after a while....and once you have it set up, its superb!
Haven't had enough use out of it yet to say about build quality/longevity yet, but it looks and feels 'solid' in every respect!

Not an EDC, not a big huge spot/throw power house...but perfect for everything else in between :thumbsup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Predator is a great light, and has great throw and lumen output. I like the High CRI option and have been happy with my light. I was just noting that there are a lot of options out there, like the Zebralight SC600. Armytek claims 500 max lumens, I thought selfbuilt measured ~370 OTF?

You're right, SelfBuilt measured 370 OTF... I thought it was 470. Anyways, I can say the output and throw difference is indistinguishable from the TK40, which is amazing for a medium sized thrower.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Anyone know what's up with them now? When they first came out they were on this forum (or market place) every day, answer questions etc. Now its like they got raptured :)

Last I heard from them they were talking about making a compact thrower, 1 18650 XML with magnetic control ring... anyone know what's going on with that?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have the new raptor coming out this month or early January, plus another 2-3 models they are trying to get done on time for shot show. Check-out their section in the market place. They've been busy bees from the sound of it.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say the output and throw difference is indistinguishable from the TK40, which is amazing for a medium sized thrower.
I have the TK30 (beam identical to TK40) and I agree. I modded my TK30 to a warm MCE and my Predator is a OP High CRI XPG, but they are very similar as far as throw. My TK30 slightly wins, but I think that is because my my Predator has an OP reflector and High CRI emitter. If my Predator had a smooth reflector I could imagine them being very similar as far as throw. Additionally, the High CRI XPG of my Predator is the best tint/beam of any light I own currently.
Hey thanks for all the info , i will let you know when i get mine .
Please do. It is a nice light that doesn't get talked about enough. There are a lot of competitors but it brings a lot of unique things to the table, including UI, emitter choice, and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, Armytek now has the Viking X out... sounds like another winner, but it is not a programmable light like the Predator. Check-out their section in the market place... They also have a few more models coming out for shot show 2012. My wallet is very scared ...

maxmcnabb

Newly Enlightened
I just want to know if these are a good flashlights ? They have high output an really look interesting .
Thanks for your input .
Bill

Can safely say this is an exceptionally good torch which stands up against & exceeds anything else I have had/tried over past 3 years(Olight M20 Warrior(SMO), EagleTac T20C2(SMO), Tiablo A9(Q5 SMO),Fenix TK11(SMO),Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor(R5 SMO). Quality is excellent. Flat/matt black anodized coating enhances feel of class & sets it apart from all the others. If looking for a v.good thrower with decent peripheral spill then this torch will absolutely not disappoint. Yes at £84 it is expensive but when you hold/use it for the first time you very quickly realise why it has a £20-30 premium over similar 2 x CR123/1 x 18650 torches. It looks,feels & performs the part whilst easily out-performing the others by a considerable margin. Add in the incredible personalisation options & the fact that even the default will suit most users makes it an out & out winner for my money, no question.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone have beamshots from a Predator with the OP reflector? that's the one I want, I think.

but all the beamshots I've seen in reviews have been smooth reflectors. :(

firelord777

Enlightened

Had to rewrite this:

Selas, thanks for pointing that out, and if you are wondering about the OP, it is a very nice and smooth beam. Throws well and is reminiscent of HID floodlights when shining it at some trees. If you are looking for more spill though, the Viking X seems suitable and a bit cheaper as well.

Will post a review on the vikings ASAP as soon as I recieve them,

Best wishes:)

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Congradulations on your decision! You will not be dissapointed.

trialt

Newly Enlightened
I have the high cri version of the predator. It has a wonderful tint, you will not be disappointed :)

dajabec

Newly Enlightened
In the range of single 18650 lights for pocket carry, this size is about the most I will go. No XM-L light can be this size and throw better no matter what the output. To even get close they would have to blaze through the battery at around 3A, while the Predator can stay flatly regulated at max output for 1.5+ hours! While other similar sized xp-g lights can hang with it in max ouput or throw, they don't have nearly the customized options this light has.