XM-L EZ White U4 help in M@g Mod

tjhabak

Enlightened
I recently built several XM-L M@g Mods with emitters from Cutter Electronics. Four of them work perfectly with the parts I assembled (H22A heatsink, KD driver, misc. battery configurations). The EZ White U4 emitter will not work, though. Troubleshooting with a DMM tells me I have continuity through the emitter, and a good driver and circuit. Has anyone else had similar issues or advice?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, throw it away, or try to reflow it on the star, most likely it shorted, poor solder job, it happens.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the Easy White, though. Looking at the data sheet, (in hindsight) there are some differences between them and the other XM-L's. It says they come in a 6v or 12v version, and max recommended drive current is 2a and 1a respectively.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
6V means a 5D Mag direct drive or 6D Mag with driver. You will have to check the driver will accept 7.2V+ output 6V .

12V you need one of them tool lights that come with 18V/24V drills.

Find out which LED you got.

tjhabak

Enlightened
6V means a 5D Mag direct drive or 6D Mag with driver. You will have to check the driver will accept 7.2V+ output 6V .

12V you need one of them tool lights that come with 18V/24V drills.

Find out which LED you got.

I think I'm just going to use another emitter (either a T6 or U2), as I still have one of each, and the light is already assembled with the driver potted to the heatsink. My driver outputs 2.8 amps on high, so it will overdrive the Easy White XM-L regardless of which one I have. I'll have to hold onto the Easy White, and use it on another project someday.

Latest posts