ZEBRALIGHT SC31

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Is the SC31 inferior to the SC51 ? Which version of these two lights has the best general purpose beam ?

Thanks Bruce

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes you ask if the SC31 is inferior?
The SC31 uses CR123 or RCR123 batteries, and the SC51 uses AA batteries. Basically the same flashlight using different batteries.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC31 is an improved version, and as mentioned by notsofast it is slightly brighter than the SC51. The SC51 is only recommended to use only standard AA batteries, but has 200 lumens.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Do either of you guys know if the these lights still accidentally turn on while being carried in the pocket ?

Thanks Bruce

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Is the SC31 inferior to the SC51 ? Which version of these two lights has the best general purpose beam ?

Not inferior, just uses different batteries. The beam would be the same as they use the same emitter and reflectors (according to ZL's specs the SC31 is slightly brighter on Hi, but the difference would be hard to see).

Depending on your intended usage they are both available as a somewhat floody "spill + spot" (SCn1), a "floody" (SCn1f), or high-cri versions (SCn1c). Choose the beam that best suits your usage.

The choice really comes down to size (SC31 is significantly shorter) and preferred battery. If you want to use eneloops or (more readily available) AAs then go for the SC51. Lithium primary batteries are available in both sizes. If you want to use 3.7v li-ion batteries then get the SC31, as according to ZL " 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported."

AFIK both lights can still turn on in pockets for some (not all) people. The two most popular solutions are to unscrew the tailcap slightly (lock-out); or to glue a thick O-ring arouind the switch. I unscrew the tailcap, as that makes it certain it can't switch on unless I want it to.

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
Do either of you guys know if the these lights still accidentally turn on while being carried in the pocket ?

Thanks Bruce

Yes. I glued an o-ring around the rubber switch and haven't had it accidentally come on since.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

Thanks Bruce

Yes! Even in the desert heat back in August, my pocket felt funny. My SC-31 came on while in my back pocket. They get HOT! I had to jettison it to the floor of the truck as it was too hot to hold.

No matter, I love these little lights. Just be mindful of how to carry it just like any other item you may carry on you, knives, guns and lights all need to be in the proper place.

Some of these LED's we have in out lights are powerful, and should be handed properly. I always back off the switch on my lights with mega-lumen drop in's when I stow it in the vehicle, or whatever I am caring it in.

When I do go out at night, I make sure to twist the switch back in case I need to blind an aggressor. You want to have it ready.

My wife melted down her SF 6P window a few years back. Any item that survives a woman's purse will exceed Mil Spec. standards.

Sorry for going OT. I love this UI, and just wanted to add the heat issues that can occur.

Love Zebra lights, and look forward to future offerings. Also, I have had excellent customer service from them.

That's all for now!

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
Cool. Where did you get the o-ring (and what size) and how did you glue it (and what glue)?

Thanks!

I bought it at a local hardware store. I couldn't find one that was a perfect size so I cut one that was too big down. I used super glue. I put a heavy amount on the area next to the rubber switch, put the o-ring on and wrapped it with a nylon cord to keep it pressed onto the light, and let it cure. The switch had a much different feel and but now it seems normal. If you use this method to glue it do a dry run first. I used a long cord (string) and wrapped the excess onto the light, didn't have to tie it.

There is a thread about this mod, search this forum. It has the correct size and other information. (I think it was 11)

Lighteous

Enlightened
When I compared the characteristics of these two lights I was conflicted over which one to purchase. So naturally I bought both. I have no regret either. Using an RCR123, the SC31 is noticeably brighter than the SC51. The SC31 is also smaller and easier to carry. But there is nothing difficult about carrying the SC51. Of the two, I use the SC51 significantly more. I like the size better for some reason. I carry it everyday and most days I pop in a freshly charged Eneloop. It is plenty bright for most uses, however, I tend to use the low setting most frequently.

My recommendation is to get both, of course. But if you only want one, I suggest the SC51.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too would suggest getting both if possible, but i'd suggest getting 1 of the standard beam and one flood. i just got my first zebra in the mail 12 hours ago, the sc51fw, wow, what an amazing little light. much smaller than i had expected, that may be another thing to consider if you have bigger hands, the sc31 may be almost too small.