Let's talk JAZZ !!

grayhighh

Enlightened
Any Jazz fan up here ?

Personally i love Oscar Peterson. Most of my Cds are Oscars.

My first jazz album is Oscar Peterson's We get request, and i start my Jazz album cd

Share what you are listing right now or your favorite artiest or anything about JAZZ !

Hotlinked images removed

Last edited by a moderator:

bansuri

Enlightened
Oh yeah! Listening to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Art Tatum, Sonny Rollins, too many to mention.
The phrasing jazz players use during solos just blows my mind. It exists outside of the restrictions of tempo, rhythm, and standard tonality.
I find that YouTube turns in to a total time-waster for me so I usually stay away, but oh man! Type in your favorite artist and you'll probably find a wealth of cool videos shot WAAAyyyy back in the day.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like all sorts of music and especially jazz. McCoy Tyner's one of my favorites. And Monk and Mingus.

I am lucky enough to have a great Jazz festival every year in nearby Rochester, NY. The acts are in different venues from free to pricey. Over the years they've had everything from Sonny Rollins to Jeff Beck. Great time every year and the Club Pass is a bargain. Check it out if you're in the area.

As for braggin rights I actually got to see Wynton Marsalis play "Flight of the Bumblebee" with a brass ensemble from the local philharmonic. It was even better than you could imagine. I also was at one of the touring Newport Jazz Festivals when Miles Davis was on the bill.

I'm pretty sure it was the same tour when just as we were going to go and grab a bite to eat that the (then unknown) act came on and I stopped in my tracks. We heard what sounded like three guitarists playing at once when I knew it was a solo act on stage. We went back to our seats and watched the rest of Stanley Jordan's set. Pretty neat.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah! Listening to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Art Tatum, Sonny Rollins, too many to mention.
The phrasing jazz players use during solos just blows my mind. It exists outside of the restrictions of tempo, rhythm, and standard tonality.
I find that YouTube turns in to a total time-waster for me so I usually stay away, but oh man! Type in your favorite artist and you'll probably find a wealth of cool videos shot WAAAyyyy back in the day.
Amongst my favourites from my (over 200) Jazz CD's , I would choose the following....

Dutch Swing College Band (10 CD's) , Lionel Hampton (19 CD's) , Arne Domnerus (3 CD's) plus others such as Gene Krupa , Buddy Rich , Louie Belson , Johnny Griffin , Armstrong , Ball , Barber , Bilk and many more.

I am gradually working my way through them again , but at the moment I am only half way through my (over 300) Classical CD's.

I try to listen to one or two per day ... So it takes over a year to complete the cycle.

Most enjoyable.

grayhighh

Enlightened
Anyone will like to recommend me a female jazz vocalist cd ?

I've no idea where to start with. Most of my collection are instrumental.

Bille Holiday ? Sarah Vaughan ? Ella Fitzgerald or else.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone will like to recommend me a female jazz vocalist cd ?

I've no idea where to start with. Most of my collection are instrumental.

Bille Holiday ? Sarah Vaughan ? Ella Fitzgerald or else.

I'd add to those:

Dinah Washington

Madeleine Peyroux

and NINA SIMONE!!!

but the list is almost endless. Try google with the terms "female jazz singers" or "female jazz vocalists" for more.

troika

Newly Enlightened
Yes please! Don't know where to start. Seems like most people listed piano trio albums as their favorites, so let me mention "This Here is Bobby Timmons" and two Hampton Hawes albums "I'm all Smiles" and "Seance" There are about 3,000 other great ones, including some contemporary ones with players like George Cables, Bill Charlap, Benny Green, etc., but those are the those are some of my lesser known gems.

I have a working jazz trio, but it doesn't rate being mentioned in the same post as the greats above, so I won't.

Of those classic singers, I really like Sarah Vaughan and Nancy Wilson, but it really comes down to who you connect with.

I won't start on horns since no one brought them up, but...it's a deep well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Check out a lady named Inga Swearingen for some sweet Jazz. I first heard her on Prairie Home Companion.

Geoff

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have the whole discography of Charlie Parker (Just Friends was my cell phone's ringtone for a few years :) ), also some Miles Davis, Matt Criscuolo. I plan to *purchase* some Nina Simone later when I have the time.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. I listen but also try to play, notice I said try to play some jazz. Jazz artist have a very interesting way of looking at music/music theory. Sometimes I thing they use their ear rather than their knowledge of music. The one thing I use on stage when I play that I've learned from jazz is that even if you hit a wrong note play the same thing again (lol) it will sound right to the audience. :0)

Last edited:

grayhighh

Enlightened
Went to CD store and bought his album '' On French River'' and find out i like Dizzy Gillespie quite well. Trying to find[FONT=arial, sans-serif] ''[/FONT]An Electrifying Evening with The Dizzy Gillespie Quintet'' but looks like they are out of stock. I think i'll have to order online.

Imon

Enlightened
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. I listen but also try to play, notice I said try to play some jazz. Jazz artist have a very interesting way of looking at music/music theory. Sometimes I thing they use their ear rather than their knowledge of music. The one thing I use on stage when I play that I've learned from jazz is that even if you hit a wrong note play the same thing again (lol) it will sound right to the audience. :0)

Whenever I'm driving around at night I always like to play "Blue in Green".
It's really mellow and, of course, it's cool. :cool:

Onthelightside

Enlightened
SmoothJazz for me! One good one is Bigger Than Outside by Tony Saunders

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jazz is nice. Anything with Dennis Chambers on drums. John Scofield Uberjam is nice modern album. Old Miles...like Bitches Brew. Herbie Hancock. Frank Zappa the album Roxy and Elsewhere, first six tracks contains some of the best American jazz recorded. Miles D Kind of Blue remains that desert island must have.

I would also like to recommend bluegrass to anyone that appreciates the musicianship. Bela Fleck might go down in history as one of the all time greats of modern music...everything he touches is gold.

obi

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

Latest posts