Feel like a phony.

bansuri

Enlightened
Sometimes I feel like a phony. I needed these lights many, MANY, times when I was younger. With my current life situation it's like I'm buying lights for a person who doesn't exist anymore.
I used to climb bridges at night, go caving regularly, played in dark bars 3 - 5 nights a week, my life was spent mainly in darkness whenever possible.
I still need lights every day at work and at home, but it's mostly for tasks that require my trusty ZL headlamps.
I'll always keep an HDS handy, and a ReVo or similar on my keychain, of course a light or 2 in the trunk, a headlamp and handheld at work, a couple spares for family members, a few lights for different battery sizes, I've got an HDS Basic60 and V10r Ti that were gifts that I can never part with, a Safe-Lite 9V for when we're reduced to scavenging batteries from smoke detectors, ZL headlamps for my wife and kids for when we go camping, my neck-worn MJP Extreme III with diffuser for Six Flags so the kids can find me at night, and of course the versatile SC600 has been great as an EDC lately.
Aside from that stuff, (which I really didn't think would look a flashoholic's checklist when I started it), I really need to assess my true needs when it comes to flashlights and keep it under control. I'm not going on a safari or expedition.
On the other hand, my life IS better since coming to CPF as I'm able to do things that others would find impossible or extremely difficult without proper illumination. I know people who still drag out the "trouble light" whenever they need to do something in the dark, accidentally bang it and pop the bulb, burn their fingers trying to remove the old one, ... I'm not making this up!
Alright, forget everything I said at the beginning of the post, more to the point is I wish I'd had this stuff when I was younger, glad I've got it now.

Robert

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Robert...My adventuring has decreased seriously since getting married, and even more so since having kids. I was always looking for the next big cave to go spelunking in...now, it's just a distant memory...so, I've adjusted my hobby a bit to acuiring family tools...the tools "the wife" won't buy...so, I've redirected some of my flahlight energy towards quality survival/outdoors gear. I used to drop $30 for a Z44 bezel at the drop of a hat...now I'm buying 5.56, or water purification tablets...yeah, it sucks, but, I feel better "equipped" for more situations other than the sun dying on us :0)

fyrstormer

Banned
If it makes you feel better, consider that you can trade them for supplies after the asteroid hits and civilization crumbles. If you have a pile of batteries to go with them, even better.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Or use them to barter for guns and ammo during the... yes I'm going to say it... Zombie Apocalypse!

Seriously, If would have had all my lights when I was younger I would not have known how to act!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as your family is not going without why worry? Flashlights are my personal indulgence.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it makes you feel better, consider that you can trade them for supplies after the asteroid hits and civilization crumbles. If you have a pile of batteries to go with them, even better.
exactly. you know
1) you have enough
2) know how to use them
3) you know someone who needs a light even if they think they don't, because we all do
4) give them to friends and get them hooked,
5) let them suffer with the CPF monkey on their back

bansuri

Enlightened
As long as your family is not going without why worry? Flashlights are my personal indulgence.
Not going without, just amazed at how hooked I got. Once you're fully immersed these amazing lights find a way in to so many areas of your life.

fyrstormer

Banned
Not going without, just amazed at how hooked I got. Once you're fully immersed these amazing lights find a way in to so many areas of your life.
You can't do anything properly if you can't see. Not without lots more practice than you'll get from peeking in dark closets and dealing with an occasional power outage, anyway.

Vesper

Enlightened
...My adventuring has decreased seriously since getting married, and even more so since having kids.

That's the truth. I still find having a house and a yard (and being a night owl) presents a bunch of flashlight fun. My wife had also started to rely on them too, so just different adventures I guess.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm with kelmo- they're my personal indulgence. Well put, I like that. The day "need" factors into it, I'll have a big pile of stuff on BST... I could certainly get by with an EDC, keychain light, reading light, and a thrower. Toss in a headlamp, and a super-low level light for getting around without waking anyone up, and I could be all set with six lights, five if I used a Photon Freedom for low-low and keychain. Where would the fun be in that? :) I agree with you Bansuri, it would have come in handy in my younger days, but not much of what's available now was available for me then. Also, glad I have it now!

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
... I was always looking for the next big cave to go spelunking in...

Angleofwar: what the heck is spelunking? No I didn't "google" it. I would guess that type of word might mean something different to the individuals who do it.

Robert, I couldn't agree with you more. I too have been amazaed at how "hooked" I got. A thoughtful message from you some time back about a little work you did for me, really made me consider my addiction. I considered too the 'fun' that these little toys/ I mean "TooLS" have brought me. I decided that I didn't want to go back to the life before CPF, but that I could work on curbing my enthusiasm for all things shiny and different. SO, I think I have started that process and I think it is going well. But, I do love the few lights I have remaining and I do have 3 on my list that I would like to one day own. . . but not necessiarly soon, and certaintly not all at once.

But, in the meantime, I think you and your bride and kiddos should take a little train ride in the early spring and we could play some serious flashlight tag, explore dark places together, climb a bridge or two, and maybe hit a bar once or twice. Maybe go spelunking (I said MAYBE; must know what that means first) And, then we could sit by flashlight bounce on the deck and watch the kids run around and do whatever new games they just made up while we remember the good times we had when we were their ages, even without our lights. If I'd had a zl headlamp on as I made my way though the city sewer system , it would not have been nearly the adventure it was. I even mapped it all out with only the light that shined through the little gutter things in the street. . . seems like it might have been cheating to have a flashlight with me. Certainly wouldn't have been as scary - which was the majority of the thrill. Oh my mom would have a heart attack if she knew some of the things I did when I was young. It amazes me that I survived some of the things I did. . . I've noticed too that my kids are now wanting to do some of those same things, and I'm telling them "NO", or "okay, but you must take old bluie (their powerful little kid friendly light that they cannot blind each other with), and a GSM walkie talkie which has a 3 mile city radius = very cool thing with the little ones out there, and your coat, and . . . . " I think I need to loosen up a bit and allow them to explore life the way I was allowed; yes, it was a different world back then, but kids are the same and I know mine will make good choices (most of the time), and I have a very quiet bike that I jump on to follow them to make sure they don't get snatched and have YET to be caught! Please don't tell them . . .
I think you should go on a safari and an expedition with your wife and kids. Late at night, when it is VERY dark, and very quiet and very spooky. and then use those lights you have to enhance the adventure. Use those tools you have allowed yourself to help you reconnect with that younger Robert who loved to do wild and crazy things and to give your own kids some memories to keep forever. . . and your tools will be part of their memories. Priceless. Take care my friend and consider a train ride. . . that is good times right there.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words all. As far as hobbies go, I could do worse, I've known people who collect guitars the way we collect lights.
Smarkum, your secret is safe with me! Just don't stop pedaling or they'll hear your sprocket clicking.