Flashlights which made the greatest impact in history?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
What make and model of flashlights have truly revolutionized the way technology is implemented, and what flashlight do you think has been a milestone in the development of flashlights?

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Kel-Lite and the Surefire 310 (first handgun mounted weapon light that I heard of back in the day). Both huge developments in professional lights. I never had either one but had the benefit of reaping the benefits of each.

My first duty light was a 6 D-cell mag light and my first pistol light was a Surefire model M-116-C (Beretta)

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire "6" (precursor to the modern 6P) is probably one of, if not THE biggest impact in modern flashlights...with-out the "6", tactical flashlights would be non-existent for all intents and purposes...Surefire "pushed" Duracell to continue R&D on the CR123, making the "6", and 95% of all modern tactical lights possible. High-tech? Nope. Fancy? Nope But neither was the wheel. It just completely turned the flashlight community upside down. A POWERFUL flashlight the I could easily carry for days in my PANTS POCKET??? I want one. Yeah...the Surefire "6".

Xacto

Enlightened
As a flashaholic, I would say the Surefire 6 (as mentioned above). But judging from a more general point of view, I would say the Maglite 3D.

Cheers
Thorsten

kts

Enlightened
I dont think any flashlight made any impact in history, but I think the Magcharger is one of the most used by police all over the world and oldest model still in use today.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL-122 angle head flashlight. It was the US Army issue light during World War II. The last variant would be pretty familiar to us and got tweaked to be the MX99-U and then the MX991-U. The flashlight of one of the major combatants in a war that profoundly influenced much of the world today. It also served as the basis for models that served in the US Military for decades and through numerous conflicts.

Siliconti

Newly Enlightened
TL-122 angle head flashlight. It was the US Army issue light during World War II. The last variant would be pretty familiar to us and got tweaked to be the MX99-U and then the MX991-U. The flashlight of one of the major combatants in a war that profoundly influenced much of the world today. It also served as the basis for models that served in the US Military for decades and through numerous conflicts.

This is the one I was thinking of. *Everyone* knows what these look like.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were lanterns actually;

"One if by land, two if by sea..."

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As a flashaholic, I would say the Surefire 6 (as mentioned above). But judging from a more general point of view, I would say the Maglite 3D.
The Surefire "6" (precursor to the modern 6P) is probably one of, if not THE biggest impact in modern flashlights...with-out the "6", tactical flashlights would be non-existent for all intents and purposes...Surefire "pushed" Duracell to continue R&D on the CR123, making the "6", and 95% of all modern tactical lights possible. High-tech? Nope. Fancy? Nope But neither was the wheel. It just completely turned the flashlight community upside down. A POWERFUL flashlight the I could easily carry for days in my PANTS POCKET??? I want one. Yeah...the Surefire "6".
All three of these lights came to mind and now as I was trying to decide which one to cite, I see these posts pretty well nailing it and I especially appreciate the deeper context given in Baterija and AOW's posts.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would give the Mini-mag a place in consumer history. When they were introduced suddenly everyone who needed a work light had a EDC. Chances are you can still spot them on the tool belts of the tradesmen & women out their.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fulton angle-head flashlight, the 6-series Surefire, and the Kel-Lite. The Kel-lite seemed to be marketed before the Maglite. I still have one--and it works fine. I also have an early 6 series Surefire, but never owned an original Fulton.

DaveG

Enlightened
I would give the Mini-mag a place in consumer history. When they were introduced suddenly everyone who needed a work light had a EDC. Chances are you can still spot them on the tool belts of the tradesmen & women out their.
Have to agree,I and most of the guys I worked with ran out and got one when you realized how much better it was than what was out there at the time.

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
* The Kel-Lite, the first "real" practical light
* The Mag-Lite, the kel-lite perfected
* The Mini-Maglite, the perfect "penlight"
* The Surefire 6C/6P, the first tactical light
* The Streamlight Stinger, for revolutionizing rechargable light
* The Streamlight Strion, for revolutionizing rechargable light again with li-ion technology
* Surefire G2, for introducing the average outdoorsman to Lithium technology
* Inova X5, for mass-market penetration of lithium batteries and powerful LED technology
* The Surefire M6, for revolutionizing movie and hollywood effects lighting & flashlights (no, seriously, most common standin for a mag in various tv shows is a M6 Dominator - no more wired "flashlights" neccesary)
* The Surefire KL1 - first mainstream Luxeon light
* The Arc AAA - first mainstream upconverting light
* The Inova Microlight - introduced the watchlight segment
* The Fenix L1P/L2P - First luxeon AA light, beginning of chinese inroad
* The Fenix L1S/L2S - variable output Luxeon light on AA
* The Fenix TK40 - first super high-power AA LED Light
* The Maglite XL50 - first high-power (100+ lumen) LED light to be truly mass-produced at a low price.
* Olight SR90 - BRIGHT
and then basically it just becomes the first lights to pioneer new form factors (4xaa, LD40), new UIs (sunwayman line, Titan), new LEDs (XP-G, XM-L) and mass-market (e.g. the Strion LED, Maglite ML125, Surefire 6PX Tactical for introducing the mass-market to LED lights of their types).

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
C and D sized maglites and magchargers- still giving police and security guards a way to beat people when using a weapon is frowned upon.
2AA Minimag- first half decent affordable e.d.c. sized light
L.R.I. Photon II- first affordable keychain light
Inova X5- first 123A light with market penetration
3AA l.e.d. Maglite- first bright, cheap 3 watt l.e.d. light (after Mag made this, l.e.d. lights really took off)
Fenix EO1- first affordable, well built keychain light to run on cheap batteries
Fenix L1P- first decent AA light for e.d.c., hiking, and backpacking
Fenix P3D Q5- first great multilevel light for everything (runs near a week of 12 hour nights on low(great for reading and emergencies), runs all night on medium (great for hiking and backpacking), runs for hours on high (great for trail running and bike riding), puts out 200 lumens on turbo (great for trail finding, security work, spotting dangerous wildlife, signaling, etc.)
Princeton Tec Quad headlight-first headlight decent enough to take backpacking
50 lumen Princeton Tec EOS headlight-first good high power l.e.d. headlight for backpacking (the Quad was brighter than the luxeon version)
Surefire 6P- first well built light, best light for aftermarket parts and drop-ins
L.R.I. Proton Pro AA light-first mass produced light with infinitely variable brightness