What flashlight model am I thinking of?

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
I read about it a few days ago and for the life of me cannot find it or remember the name. I read it was not regulated and could be turned up almost as bright as you want within the limits of your battery and LED. Another poster joked about how long the disclaimer was on the for sale page for it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be thinking of the Peak Solution's Vesuvius:
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Vesuvius.html

They've put an XM-L in a tiny 1xAAA light. However, that lengthy disclaimer and warning are there for a reason. Such a small light doesn't have the mass to pull heat away from the LED when it is driven to full output, so it will get VERY HOT very quickly. Dangerously hot.

It also requires the use of a specialized battery and charger to obtain those high output levels.

So, yes, it's amazing how bright such a small light can get, but it really should only be used by somebody with enough experience and knowledge to handle it safely and responsibly.

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
You might be thinking of the Peak Solution's Vesuvius:
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Vesuvius.html

They've put an XM-L in a tiny 1xAAA light. However, that lengthy disclaimer and warning are there for a reason. Such a small light doesn't have the mass to pull heat away from the LED when it is driven to full output, so it will get VERY HOT very quickly. Dangerously hot.

It also requires the use of a specialized battery and charger to obtain those high output levels.

So, yes, it's amazing how bright such a small light can get, but it really should only be used by somebody with enough experience and knowledge to handle it safely and responsibly.

That one is it! Thank you. I was wanting to show my friend but couldn't remember what model it was.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why make something so potentially dangerous, unless it is just a prototype?
Well, this is a forum for flashlight enthusiasts, and as such, we are always pushing the limits to see just how bright we can make our lights, and making a tiny light that is capable of producing 600 lumens is simply pushing the envelope to it's limits.

Of course the nice thing is that the Vesuvius comes equipped with a QTC device that gives it near infinite variability from off to full brightness, so it's not a one trick pony. It can be used for all the typical keyring duties we associate with that size light, and yet it can also put out a huge wall of light for a short period of time when needed...... or just for fun.

I guess it's the same reason people have street cars that are capable of going 200 mph. In day to day driving you certainly wouldn't go that fast, and you sure wouldn't want to give that kind of power to an untrained driver, but in the right hands and at the right time (at a track for instance), it can be a whole lot of fun.