Superbright LED flashlight

S

sfischer

What is the brightest commercially available white light flashlight, preferably rechargeable?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
sfischer,

Welcome to CPF!

When you say "brightest" do you mean greatest total output or longest-throwing? The two can be very different depending on beam dispersion angle and type of reflector or lens. It will help us to answer your question if you describe the beam you're looking for and the intended use of the light. I can't immediately come up with a superbright rechargeable LED, and you may have to settle for a nonrechargeable. It is likely that the brightest LED light will be a "mod" (modified flashlight) created by some of our gifted CPF modders, rather than one that is commercially available.

Brightnorm

hula

Newly Enlightened
Welcome sfischer - take heed of the warnings of temptation you will receive. For there is much here to be tempted by.

Ok back to your question. I would suggest you consider using rechargeable batteries and opt for say a ElektroLumens Blaster VI. It utilises a 5w Luxeon Star Led is about the size of a 2d flashlight. Its beautifully finished and can run off either 3 x CR123 batteries or 6 x AA batteries in holders. Get these as rechargeables with a high mah and your set. Be warned though you'll probably not just wanna stop there. I tried but failed - Oh well it's only money!

Hula.

Cones

Enlightened
What about a Megaray 175 Watt short arc xenon?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's rechargeable. It's portable. You can read a newspaper with it's light a mile away! Oh and it costs $5900.

See it here http://www.cones.free-online.co.uk/MegaRay%20175.htm

If this is a bit too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How about an ElektroLumens Tri-Star with 3 off 5 Watt Luxeon Star fitted to it. One was made as a special. But I am sure that someone would be willing to make another!

Mark

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Hey guys, he said <font color="red"> </font> LED ! No Xenon short arc stuff here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I agree that best range (reach) and highest output do not necessarily go together.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
OK, if you're willing to go the mod route the brightest, or one of the very brightest LED lights is the Space Needle II produced by Mr. Bulk. It is a 5 watter like the Blaster VI, but MUCH brighter. I'm not sure if Mr. Bulk is still making these lights but if you PM or EMail him I'm sure he'll be glad to tell you and also update you on his latest projects. Here's a detailed review comparing the SN II to 10 bright incandescent lights.

SPACE NEEDLE II FACES DOWN INCANDESCENT WOLF PACK

The SN II is remarkably compact and uses 3x123's in a MAG 2C body. It is a unique light but it eats batteries. SureFire premium 123's are only $1,25 each, but if you use the light often you might want to check with Mr. Bulk to see if rechargeable PILA LiIONS can be used in this light.

Brightnorm