Who still uses the Surefire V70 Holster regularly?

dougie

Enlightened
I've got a number of Surefire lights which I've carried on duty and for years have used a Surefire Gz with Malkoff M60L in a V70 holster. I've never had any issues with this set-up and can access and re-holster my light easier than any other holster I've ever used. It'd be interesting to hear if any others are still using the V70 regularly?

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
I've had the V70 for several years it has seen some field use but now have it on my training rig. I have carried the Gladius on my duty rig for the past 8 years. My partner has carried his V85A for the last few years along with his 6P.

These are very good holsters and I will probably be purchasing a V85 in the near future myself.

kenphliu

Newly Enlightened
I use it on my duty belt to carry all my p60 host lights and it works great. I like the "quick draw" method carrying (bezel down).

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I only used mine for about a year and here is how it wore the hell out of my tailcap and bezel. I would like to see photos of your lights wear. My partner sported one for years and actually cracked one eventually from all the takedowns and the clip/spring inside lost its springyness.
DSC03216.jpg
DSC03213.jpg

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Wow, gotta say that is one helluva way to discourage people from using the V70!...lol. As I said, I've used my Malkoff equipped G2z bezel up and have no obvious wear on the tail cap apart from a slight matting effect. I have read about the issue you have posted about but until now never seen anything like the abrasion damage you've photographed..:(

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine on my belt for work as an EMT. I use it for my Malkoff MD2 with M61L, I do have wear around the tailcap but it doesn't bother me.

signal 13

Enlightened
I liked the V70 and didn't mind any wear. But every V70 I had, the spring broke. I kept sending them back to SF for replacement but finally gave up because they always broke at the worst time. Went through about five of them. Ended up just going with the blade tech bezel down holsters. Nothing to wear out and they haven't worn the finish on any of my lights.

Xacto

Enlightened
Bought one when I got my first SF 6PL while in the USA in 2008. After realizing what it does to the finish of the light (after the first try) I haven't used it ever since. Carrying a light is a hobby so I prefer my lights to look as new as possible.......

.... on the other hand, I got a SF 6P OG that is pretty beat up. Maybe I will think about giving the V70 something to chew on.

Cheers
Thorsten

consitter

Newly Enlightened
I've used mine for 5 years with 3 different Surefire lights, and my spring just broke 3 days ago, so I wouldn't call that an issue. I work midnights in a prison, and I unhoster and reholster many times a night every night I work.

The finish wear issue only occurred with my first light which was an older generation. It wore the crap out of the finish too, but it definitely wouldn't let my light fall out. The only way it came out was if I pulled it out. Switched to a 6PX pro, and the finish wear problem wasn't an issue anymore. I think the V70 was made for this generation of light (just guessing).

Bought a Peacekeeper the other day, and got a new V70 holster. The peacekeeper barrel shape is a throwback to the older generation. As a result, I'm already seeing a little finish wear on the tailcap. But I'll trade that for the retention the V70 gives. In that holster, I won't be losing my light, no matter what angle I'm sitting at, or even when I put my belt in my backpack when I go home. On top of that, it doesn't have a flap over the light that I've always hated on other types of light holsters.

Sorry to be so gabby. :)