Maplin now stock Luxeons and other greeat stuff!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Hi there CPF'ers, I'm back after a protracted absence to announce that Maplin now stock the entire Luxeon range. It's in thier new September 2003-Mar 2004 catalogue! At last the English have caught up, and using some of the info gained from this web site, I might be able to produce some seriously bright torchware! I have refrained from torchmaking for a while as I have been working on EMPOWERED projects. But a visit to Maplin has reignited my torchaholism!
There are a lot of other non-Luxeon LED products added to the list, too. A larger range of 5mm LED's including pink LED's. (These LED's are phosphor-based like white LED's). A very popular colour for potential "girlie" torchaholics. I will in time construct torches using the new LED types including the pink LED's, and report on thier performance.
Meanwhile I have to report that many miles of good, exciting night walking have been achieved using LED torches. 2D and 3D models, as well as the faithful BT2 have all played thier parts well. My preferred torch colour for outdoor night walking is cyan. Another unlikely success was an early Rubberlux constructed not long after I joined CPF. The twin yellowish-green LED's worked far better when I replaced the batteries. Though not the brightest of the torches I have it proved very effective in darkest Derbyshire!