Your design recomendations for my first red LED hunting builds.

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
Been a browser here for a loge time, Have electronics background, machining skills, and a lathe. I have been interested in making my own red hunting lights for coyote hunting here in Wisconsin since I stumbled onto this forum. Based on recommendations I read here, I have decided to build 2 lights. One smaller for walking, and one larger for spotting.

Here is what I have/am thinking of using so far.

Small light: 1100ma A123 cells (qty?) 1W High dome Luxeon red LED, drivers? LFLEX, b2Flex, maxflex, others?

Larger unit, Emoly 26700 cells (qty?) 3W High dome Luxeon red LED, drivers? LFLEX, b2Flex, maxflex, others?

I have a few possible on hand choices for the host, am open to all recommendations especially drivers, cell configuration and reflector options. I have the listed batteries already, but don't have to utilize them. Also charging is not a concern, I have capable R/C based charging gear.

I'm a newbie here, so feel free to point me in the right direction.

Berks.

allburger

Enlightened
I would recommend using a cree LED with an aspherical lens to create a red spot that will shine long distances without creating alot of spill beam. I picture that as ideal for coyote hunting at night.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
If you are working with red LED's and it's your first mod, then I'd recommend a constant current driver so that you can use the batteries of your choice. Red LED's have a very low forward voltage which means that without the right driver you will burn out the LED with too much voltage. Most of the red LED's I've worked with have a forward voltage of 2.2 or 2.4 volts. A constant current driver allows you to have higher voltage batteries without the danger of burning out the LED. I used a TaskLED H6CC driver in my hunting light build where I used a Red SST90. The downside is that the driver is very large and requires a maglite (or similar) host in order to use it. It also needs a considerable amount of heatsinking. Below is a link to the hunting lights that I recently built. They are for sale, but the build details are there for you to review.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Green-and-Red-Hunting-Maglight-Mods&highlight=

3zuli

Newly Enlightened
for the small light, have a look at sku.20333 at dealextreme. uses a red cree XR-C led, which is better than luxeon.
and if you need a big long-range light, you may want to mod a 3D maglite with a red SST-90 (as seven11 suggested) or PT-54

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and recommendations. I figure some more research is in order. Just ordered a few different brands of 3w LED's to mess with, along with a H6CC driver and a star board heat sink for some bench testing.
I like the sounds of the SST90 specs, so I had to get one of those to mess with as well:sold:. Pricey little buggers.

For the larger light, maybe the SST-90-R, an H6Flex, 2 of the 26700's, DIY lathed heat sink in a 3D or 3C maglite. Runtimes I'd guess would only be an hour at max output, but that's fine for my needs in a long range red light.

Any options on the reflector in the Mag Lite with the SST90?

For the smaller unit, for the time being, I think ill swap out the white CREE in my 2C Task Force, with a red one. There is some sort of a driver in that, and it tested 3.1v at 800mA for about 2.4W. I ordered an XP-E along with 3 other options for that one, as well as for use in bench testing.

Cant wait to try the SST-90. My hunting buddy uses a 3C mag with a red 3W diamond Drop in.

Last edited:

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Yes the SST-90's are expensive, too expensive in my opinion. For the reflector in a mag, just make sure you get an LED mag for your mod. The reflector in it is deeper than an incan model and should work for your mod just fine. If you want to replace it though Phoenix Electroform sells a stock replacement reflector for a D-size mag; I'm not sure if they have one for a C-mag.

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
Here is my progress so far:
100_0377.jpg

100_0375.jpg
100_0373.jpg
100_0372.jpg