"Scraping" Sound and Leaking Battery in Quark X 123^2

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
*Flashlight Newbie*

I've been carrying my new Quark X 123^2 for about 72 hours (still with its original 4Sevens lithium CR123A batteries), and I just encountered a terrible problem.

Tonight, I used the light for about 15 minutes (mostly moonlight through medium modes, plus about 1 minute on turbo).

Afterwards, I decided to investigate an unpleasant scraping sound when tightening/loosening the bezel (in my head, I pictured the contacts scraping against the batteries). As the scraping was fairly understated, I'm not sure how long it had been going on, but I will guess it was about 24 hours.

Up to this point, the light still functioned flawlessly.

When I unscrewed the bezel, I was hit by the smell of burning electronics. Without much investigation, I replaced the bezel and found that the the tightened bezel modes worked, but only sporadically. The loosened bezel modes worked only after unscrewing the bezel several turns. For what it's worth, the scraping sound was now gone.

I removed the bezel again, and, on closer inspection, there was "goo" on the top of the exposed battery, presumably leakage from the battery (if I sound naive, it's because I've never experienced a battery leak before. I did, at least, know to wash up thoroughly, so, no worries there.).

Of course I will be contacting 4Sevens, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with the quark lights (or with any other lights for that matter). And what might have actually happened, other than my original guess (the contacts scraping a hole into the batteries)?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess it was a defective battery then or something, but i'm no expert. :(

i have that exact same light, the Quark X 123^2, and I've been carrying it a ton on me with both the two CR123As it came with and, when i depleted those, Titanium Innovations 123s, as well.

but i'm sorry this happened to you, buddy! the quark x 123^2 is absolutely amazing, but no manufacturing process is perfect, so i guess yours slipped past quality control or something? i dunno. :(

edit: i should say I have the tactical version, so i never have to loosen the head really, outside of switching to mode b.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, lithium primary batteries don't leak. Could it have been the lubrication that is on the head?

passive101

Enlightened
Primary Li's should not be leaking like alkaline batteries to the best of my knowledge, however take the batteries out of the flash light and discontinue use of those batteries immediately!

Don't mess around with 123A's that may be bad. Their a couple bucks to replace and not worth wrecking a light, finger, hand, eye, or anything else.