A Question and Your Opinions Regarding Surefire C2 Host and Drop Ins.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Host and drop-in's is a area that's peaked my interested and something that I'd like to venture into since it seems to be an economical way to experiment with beam profiles, as well as to upgrade a flashlight's LED.

I got closer to this idea/thought when I ran into a market Place ad selling bored out 18650 Surefire bodies/host.

The Host that caught my interest is Surefire's C2, for it's size, has smooth/rounded edges (easy on the pocket or jacket's lining), and has an long integrated (?) pocket clip.

However while doing my research, I have a few questions I'd like to ask y'all.

* I read a thread regarding a problem in finding Drop-in's for a C2 host that'll plug and play without having to do some modifications to the drop-in.

* The clip will wobble or become loose if the head is not tight against it and or will become so after being used often e.g. as an EDC.

Am I correct in my assumptions? Other areas/problems I should be aware of?

As always thank you in advance for your time!

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Most drop-ins come with large outer springs which help them to fit in Solarforce hosts, which have a larger space for the light engine. But a simple shortening of the spring with wire cutters is all it takes to tune it to size.... However a couple of the best dropins on the market, the Torchlab triples and the Malkoff series, do not have this outer spring and fit the C2 like a factory part. This also means that the bezel will fully seat on the host, securing the clip.

Regarding the clip, im not a big fan of the C2 clip. I prefer bezel down, primarily to better protect the business end during transport. With a C2 clipped to your pocket, the entire head assembly is protruding.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
As suggested, Malkoff and Torchlabs fit like gloves. Of the half dozen C2's I have, only the Nailbender drop ins required me to trim (or completely remove) the outer spring.

The pocket clip is secured by friction fit with a little plastic insert. It is not held in place by the bezel at all.

C2's are a great host and my favorite light of all time. :)

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
put the malkoff in the c2 run it on two aw 123's... BAM!!!! awesome-tastic! It's not shockingly bright but it's bulletproof and more than enough light for most situations!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The thing to keep in mind is that this is not a new config. Thousands of C2s are in use every day with the drop ins mentioned above. The only surprise might be the gap left between the bezel and body, a cosmetic concern.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for helping me with my concerns! ... :thumbsup: ... Good to know I'm headed in the right direction (?) with this host!

ElectronGuru, I don't mind a slight gap between the body and bezel. So long as I don't have to do all kinds of modifications to make the light work! ... LOL ... The clip was a concern since I'll be carrying the light in my front pocket and not a holster, as well as head down would be ideal, but head up isn't a problem.

Last edited:

signal 13

Enlightened
Right now I'm carrying a C3 clipped in my pocket on duty until I get a bladetech bezel-down holster for it. It's got a Z48 tailcap so it sits pretty deep in my pocket and that sucker ain't falling out! I suspect the C2 could possibly come out after some serious running or a good scuffle since its a bit shorter. But I carry both and love the C2/C3 (w/ Malkoff dropins of course). I have a second set of C2/C3 that are gonna get the Nailbender treatment soon!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm carrying a C3 clipped in my pocket on duty until I get a bladetech bezel-down holster for it. It's got a Z48 tailcap so it sits pretty deep in my pocket and that sucker ain't falling out! I suspect the C2 could possibly come out after some serious running or a good scuffle since its a bit shorter. But I carry both and love the C2/C3 (w/ Malkoff dropins of course). I have a second set of C2/C3 that are gonna get the Nailbender treatment soon!

Thanks for your input signal 13! Looks like the clip on the C2 will work fine for my use!