Yahoo! My Arc AA variants arrived today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
My Arc AA's arrived today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The first light was a very dark and shiny olive color.
It had the original AAA style lug. This must be one of
the "original" batch . . . (THANK YOU PETER/MARY/STAFF)

The second light was the more familiar greyish/green
"natural" Arc AAA type finish. It has the new style tail
and the head is a little bit shorter than the Dark Olive/
Original AAA tail type light.

The third light is a "second" which is exactly like
the light above (stand up tail/natural HA III finish)
with the exception of a minor blemish in the recessed
area of the tail section.

These lights are awesome!

Fit and finish is excellent and the beams are very nice.

These lights are far superior to the CMG infinities that I have.
The new stand-up tail is a great feature.
These lights reek of quality and good design!

It's very nice to have the option of using lithium
batteries.

I'll take some pictures later and post them.

BRAVO Arc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I can only comment on the 2 seconds that I received, but the quality is awesome. These things just feel light a tank, not in weight, but in build quality. In your hand, it just "feels right". The engaging and dissengaging of the head is smooth and solid, with no looseness. I get the feeling that I could drop this thing off a building, brush it off and be on my way with no worries at all.

I would like the new tailcap design to be an optional item in the next AAA builds. I still see a need for the lug-design, however the stand-up design certainly has it's place as well.

In another thread, I posed the question concerning the AA replacing the AAA. Knowing what I know now, the answer is NO..... my AA will not replace my AAA, but will go hand-in-hand with them.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you 100% TIN! these are very high quality items. Next to these small products of supreme integrity, the Infinity's are just an aluminum tube with an LED in them. Really nice stuff, thanks again to all at Arc. I think these will really go over well in the outdoor sports culture. I like the packaging a great deal too!

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I would like the new tailcap design to be an optional item in the next AAA builds. I still see a need for the lug-design, however the stand-up design certainly has it's place as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't recieved mine yet but I am already thinking aloung the same lines.

I have a feeling I'll be trying to find a used AA Lug style because I'm going to be sent a new style.

alanz

Newly Enlightened
My Arc AA arrived today (along with a couple of AAA's I ordered at the same time)

My preliminary observations are that the center of the beam appears about twice as bright as my CPF AAA edition, and the spill is significantly wider. The color of the AA spill is a bit more red/yellow than the CPF edition.

The fit and finish is first rate... the HA and knurling seem to match that on my Arc LS2.

The new standup tail design might just put this as a fixture on my night table. I don't think it will replace the AAA or the LS as my EDC lights.

This is a very very sweet light... and I hope the new tail option appears in the AAA some time in the future.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Mine's just arrived, together with another one for a friend, and a few packs of 123s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
It's a second in dark natural with stand-up tail, and it looks even better than my AAA LE !!
Now I want a "new tail" dark natural AAA too (omygod I'm turning into a flashlight fetishist: I've even treated it to some silicone bike polish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) I was afraid it would be overly large, but it feels just right in my hand.
The AAA will stay on my keychain (which isn't on my person all that often), the AA is on a lanyard for now (from a Garmin etrex, so i don't need the split ring), but a clip would be nice.
I'm thinking if you'd cut a small slot through the tail (just outside and parallel to the bottom of the main body) and stick a bent piece of stainless steel (or better yet, Ti) through, with one end pressing against the bottom (where the blemish is) and the other against the side of the light, you'd have a nice low-key clip.
A 2AA version would be nice too, with 3-4 Nichias or an underdriven LS, but I don't want to appear greedy...

I'll do a run-time test tomorrow, with a 2000mAh NiMh

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lived with mine for over a week now and I just don't like the new tail.
The standup tail design is a nice feature but badly implemented (IMO).
As a stand-alone flashlight it's kind of elegant but as a keychain light the balance is bad and the hand-fit is awkward.
I'd prefer something along the lines of the Streamlight Batonlight. That design would also allow for standing on end but would solve all of my other complaints.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
I've lived with mine for over a week now and I just don't like the new tail.
The standup tail design is a nice feature but badly implemented (IMO).
As a stand-alone flashlight it's kind of elegant but as a keychain light the balance is bad and the hand-fit is awkward.
I'd prefer something along the lines of the Streamlight Batonlight. That design would also allow for standing on end but would solve all of my other complaints.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about your post, and I like the idea of a Batonlight-type tail. In fact, it seems to me that Peter could kill two birds with one stone by just drilling another hole in the tail, and including an alternative attachment with each package.

I may do it myself if I can find the right size stainless steel rod to shape into a triangle.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine thurs right before a camping trip last weekend. It saw a lot of use. This light is so nice I can't belive its a second! Just a small V shaped scratch in the tail section. Color and brightness of beam great! I like the greyish green color but don't drop it in the grass. I Need to wrap some reflective tape around it. Its currently attached to a Berkley Mini clip. They should drill another hole opposite the first one so you can thread a lanyard through for a vertical hang. I'd also like to see some more metal around the split ring. It's so thin it looks like it could just break right through.

k4jdn

Newly Enlightened
I thought the same about the thickness until I looked at how thin the metal is on a AAA, and I've never heard of a AAA failing at the lug.

The new tailcap is a case of "be careful what you wish for" with me, as I like the old lug style better. If I kept the AA on a desk it would better like it is now, but on a lanyard the weight is off-center.

Overall a typical awesome Arc product. Keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.