Homemade thrower

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. A little time on my hands so..............

was thinking of getting brightest DX cree available driving it it as hard as possible and shining it through a 3 inch aspheric lens. Will drive off li-po's.

Would this make a good thrower? I don't want any spill as I can machine a zoom mechanism.

What is the brightest cree led at the moment?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

icon7.gif

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all. A little time on my hands so..............

was thinking of getting brightest DX cree available driving it it as hard as possible and shining it through a 3 inch aspheric lens. Will drive off li-po's.

Would this make a good thrower? I don't want any spill as I can machine a zoom mechanism.

What is the brightest cree led at the moment?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

icon7.gif

Yes it will make a good thrower. The XR-E is what you want for that lens. The XP-C is more intense but the beam is too small for practical use.

Newly Enlightened
Would it be brighter than this one I own.
Aurora WF-600 HA-III 2-Mode Cree Q5 LED Flashlight (18650/CR123A/3.6V~9V)

Also I want to spotlight rabbits with it while walking so long throw small spot is good.
When you say the XP-C is more intense but smaller spot, how much more intense and how much smaller spot?

Thanks for getting back.

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the latest Dereelight DBS V3 aspheric using the XR-E R2 of the EZ900 die size. The aspheric head has some adjustability to tune the beam for specific distances.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
If you're interested in spotting then a large circle of light will help you see rabbits, that would be invisible if they're outside the circle.

An XM-L draws 10 watts, but the circle of light will have three times the area of that from a XR-E (3.5 watts) and the lower brightness of the circle will be hardly noticeable, compared with a XR-E.

Newly Enlightened
Will use some flood to get eye shine and then zoom in.
Am thinking (and I may be wrong) I can change the size of the beam like the little aspheric led lights.

Also I will use plain old li-po's to power it at any voltage required.

What would be the best high medium low DX driver to use. Or if your not a fan of those just the brightest single speed from DX.
I will have lots of room to heatsink the LED so I'm not shy about driving it hard.

Thanks for info so far

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Bumping my thread ......... NOW!
Thanks anyone.

Newly Enlightened
Ive done this now. Used an XML T6. Much better than DX Aurora WF-600 HA-III 2-Mode Cree XRE Q5 LED Flashlight by a mile. Square die shape, much brighter and further throwing than the above. Used the 66mm DX aspheric 2 degrees to 90 deg.

Newly Enlightened
An update for anyone tinkering like me that's new.

Used an XML T6 through a 66mm DX aspheric Much better than DX Aurora WF-600 HA-III 2-Mode Cree XRE Q5 LED flashlight by a mile. Square die shape, much brighter and further throwing than the above. Used the 66mm DX aspheric 2 degrees to 90 deg.

Then same XML T6 through the DX SST90 (73mm) reflector. It is brighter than the aspheric and appears throw further . Both straight through with no driver. Hotspot is bigger. Just how it all looks. No actual light measurements.