Snow Peak SnowMiner Head Lamp

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Does anybody have one of these yet? I like how it can transform into a lantern. Their website lists the lumens as 80 ANSI on high with a run time of 55 hours??? That run time seems hard to believe seeing how it runs on 3 AAAs. I'm interested in knowing more about this one if anybody has one? Thanks!

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i hate to knock a company for trying something new, but it looks like they need to go back to the drawing board. the video on their site shows the headlamp casting a lot of light down on the user's face. so it'll probably be unusable for glasses wearers. and not that great for non-glasses wearers either.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
cool post. pics 4-7 show a faint glow on the user's brow and nose. i wonder if that's the result of secondary light coming from the silicone dome or light from the main beam being reflected off of the measuring surface.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very good response. However the 85 lumens for 55 hours is certainly impossible, even with modern LED technology which members of this forum are very well aware of. I am assuming this was measured using ANSI methods down to 10% of actual brightness and therefore is due to the light being unregulated and giving most of it's output at a much lower level than the claimed 85 lumens?

If this is the case, it would be great for you to provide a 'runtime graph' showing the output curve from the start of runtime measurement to the 10% cut-off point. On this forum most accepted measurements of runtime are taken when the output drops below 50% of the starting or claimed value, so that would be another good piece of information to provide if the graph is to much trouble.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Thanks to Snow Peak for the direct response. At this price point I think I will be ordering one soon!