Malkoff MD60

signal 13

Enlightened
Just saw these go up on the site a couple days ago. Has anyone had a chance to demo one? I'm just wondering if I should hold out for a M6LT or upgrade a used M6. If the beam is anything like the M6LT then I'll be very interested in scoring another M6.

I would really like the option to go incandescent if I wanted to, and besides, it's a Malkoff :naughty:

Last edited:

geisto

Newly Enlightened
Waiting for Gene to build more of them. I'll be using it on a M4 though with 2x17650 or 4xCR123s.

The M6LT is listed at 900lumens on max while the Malkoff is 450lumens. Since you don't have a M6 on hand, I would get the M6LT for the higher output.

signal 13

Enlightened
Another thing is that I want to run it on rechargeables. I talked to someone recently who said they were running their M6LT on 2 x 18650s with no issues. But at least with a MD60 I KNOW it's designed to run on so many different options I don't have to worry about running into any issues.

I'll probably end up buying both. Why have one when you can have two at twice the price!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Regarding that posted voltage range, that sounds like the identical driver to the one in the M91 dropin?

Edit: LOL, well it was just a quick guess. :eek:

Last edited:

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
If it were me, I would go the Malkoff/standard incan route...keeps your options open, and versatility is worth the lower Lumens. As much as I love Surefire, they seem to be going with low mod ability lights.
I own an M6, and I sure won't be buying an M6LT...I will be going the MD60 route.

signal 13

Enlightened
Well I just bought another M6 on the MP! Gonna go the MD60/Incan route. I think the purpose of the MD60 is really for use as a drop in replacement for all the stock SFs w/ KT4s in use out there without all the guesswork for the non-flashaholic types. Of course it has it's place among us too. Can't wait to get my hands on one!!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my M6LT on 2 x 18650 cells with no problems whatsoever

My problem with running a LED tower module in a M6 is when using for extended periods how much will
the generated heat effect the emitter since the Turbo head has all that isolating foam surrounding the reflector.
Should not be a problem with the KT1/2 heads since the reflector and head are one single piece.

As mentioned by JC, a little surprised at how high the minimum voltage is .... so I guess that rules out 2 x primary cells
and 1 x rechargeable cells

Kif

Enlightened
MD60 will be a great upgrade for the KT1/KT2/KT4 head
Can't wait to get one :devil:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just bought another M6 on the MP! Gonna go the MD60/Incan route. I think the purpose of the MD60 is really for use as a drop in replacement for all the stock SFs w/ KT4s in use out there without all the guesswork for the non-flashaholic types. Of course it has it's place among us too. Can't wait to get my hands on one!!

I will take the opposite route and leave my M6 in stock form. I will get a MD60 for my M4. 2+ hours and 460 Malkoff lumens, how can you go wrong? I will then be able to use my M4 lamps in my 12ZM. The 12ZM does not appear to have enough mass to heat sink a tower.

If the tint is equivelent to an M91 it should be fine. My M91 is nice and white. Even if it is on the green side like the other Malkoff's I own it won't be a big deal. With enough output you can overcome any color rendition issues IMHO.

kelmo

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KT4 TH on the M4 is not the best choice for heat sinking either. The shock system compromises its thermal management performance. A KT1 is much better and also can be used on a 12ZM. See here for some thermocouple data. I may have to re-do the measurements on an SRTH or TRTH to see how they stack up against a KT4. But I've not had any problems with any of my XM-L towers in my various 12ZMs. Granted, they are underdriven at about 1.5A drive.

signal 13

Enlightened
Right about now would be a great time for Gene to pop in and say how awesome the MD60 towers are and he'll be ready to ship me the first one he makes since I posted the first thread about it!

:devil:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Precisionworks posted a message about the MD60 two days prior to the start of this thread. However, his message was part of an existing thread on LED towers.

signal 13

Enlightened
Well I got the back in stock notification but didn't get it until after I got out of a movie. I totally missed out :banghead:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an MD60 earlier this evening. There were 5 in stock at the time I bought one. I'm looking forward to putting this in one of my Surefires! Yay!

signal 13

Enlightened
I just bought an MD60 earlier this evening. There were 5 in stock at the time I bought one. I'm looking forward to putting this in one of my Surefires! Yay!

Oh yeah, sure, rub it in! :twak:

Well be sure to post a review!!