How to replace a cracked Zebralight lens.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi folks!

Some weeks ago, I noticed, to my bewilderment, a crack going through the lens of my Zebralight SC51W. Although I do not remember dropping it, it had a very tiny mark on the retainer ring right at one end of the crack, so I cannot discount the possibility of it being my fault.

The fix is $2.86. All you need in an appropriate lens from DX or elsewhere:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&q=Glass+Lens+for+Flashlights+(18mm+10-Pack)

Once these arrived, I removed the retainer ring. This can only be done by smashing the lens into pieces, which requires a little courage. I removed tailcap and battery, wrapped the light into a rag, put it in my vise sideways and used a center punch and light taps with a small hammer. The tricky part is now to remove some shards between the o-ring and the retainer ring. With some poking with a needle and tweezers I finally succedded in creating a small gap. I inserted a flat screwdriver, and used it as a lever to pop out the ring. This is surprisingly easy. I cleaned the reflector and the o-ring thoroughly.
To ensure that the retainer ring's back is totally even, I took a sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and oscillated the ring over it with my fingers, until the backside was nicely honed.
I think that the direct steel-glass contact offers room for improvement. If any of the two surfaces has the slightest protrusion, neither of them will give, this leading to a high, point-focussed pressure. I guess this was the cause for the initial crack.
So I used an overhead projector transparency, and cut out a ring with the precise dimensions of the retainer ring. I will use this as a cushion between the two hard surfaces, spreading potential point pressure.
I put in the o-ring, cleaned the DX lens using isopropyl, and put it in as well. It's diameter is 1mm too small, so I centered it as good as I could. I added the plastic washer and put the retainer ring on top.
I own two hardened steel dies from punch tools I used to do maintenance on when I was a trainee. I use those as little anvils for a decade now, and they still do not have the slightest mark. I used these to push back the retainer ring. I put the light between the two dies, and gave the assembly small taps with a hammer, until the ring was pushed in flush.
I am very happy with the result. I cannot see any difference to a new light.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you wonder about the clip: I bent it using a stainless steel spoke.

Cheers,

Julian

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
yeah, i eat Kraut too. it's nothing other than cabbage :nana:
thanks for the description. there not very many How-To's on cpf!

dealextreme link. you serious??

Lighteous

Enlightened
Cracked lens on Zebralight SC51

Much to my dismay, I just discovered that the lens on my Zebralight SC51 is cracked. I looked at the Zebralight website but there were no replacement lenses listed for sale. I left a message on its customer service and hope to get a positive response. Has anyone out there replaced a broken lens on a SC51 or other Zebralight? If so, where did you obtain the replacement lens? Any tips on how to replace the lens on this light will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Thread Merge - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: