Ok! Now that I have a C2 host on the way, I need some Drop In help! .. LOL

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I want to thank thoughs who responded to my request for information regarding a Surefire C2 Host! Anyways I knew I'd be in trouble when I started the thread cause I purchase one from Bugsy through his Market Place ad which is bored out for a 18650.

After re-reading a few threads (ones that came up using the search function), the ones that I was interested seem to be older threads. SO, I'm asking for y'alls help once again in regards to recommending a drop in that would work for my application or beam profile I'm most interested in!

I presently have tabs open to Dereelight, lighthound (Nailbender drop-ins) and malkoff web sites.

The following is what I'm hoping to acheive with this purchase;

* I'd like a tight beam profile. The Hot Spot is more important then spill.

* Single output is fine, since this light is used primarily on it's max output. I use my HDS Rotary if I need a lower output or in a structure e.g. large room.

* Bright White Tint (not sure if I can stay away from green, but would be absolutely great if possible)! For some reason I find the white tint (to my eyes) is easier to see and throws further then a warm tint. Well, aside from my DEFT-edc LR that is! ... LOL

* I'll utilize 18650's in this light! Btw, I'm presently using 2900 mAh 18650 ***Fire protected rechargables, but would like to upgrade to AW protected 18650's, but I notice there are several different AW protected 18650's (2200, 2600, 2900, and 3100 mAh). Which in your opinion would be the one I should invest in?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single level p60 dropin, tight beam, for a bored C2? No question, go for a Malkoff M60. Probably most reliable and versatile setup you can get for single level. With a M60, it's designed to run regulated from 3.8v to 9v and anything below 3.8 it will run direct drive. So that means you can use the most combination of batteries: 2xcr123, 2x16340 (aka rcr123), to 2x18350, or a single 17670 or 18650. Soooo many battery options. :)

If you want just a little bit more spill, you can get the m61. Voltage range is just slightly wider at 3.4v to 9v. Not much more advantageous, but it means you can run regulated for a bit longer.

As for the difference between all of those AW batteries in 18650 size? It's just the capacity of the cell. The 2200 came out first years ago, and then as technology got better, they were able to cram more energy into the cell, and hence the 2600 came out, then the 2900, and now just recently the 3100. Because the 3100 was just released, you can get the 2900 and 2600 for cheaper, but of course that probably means AW will stop making those cells in the near future if they haven't already.

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
AZpops Congrats on getting that C2 I recommed getting a Nailbender T5 4500K tint 600 lumens its on the neutral side and it is white. If you go with the T6 650 lumens it will lean more on the blue side, however I got one of NBs XML DD U2 1A tint 880 lumens and that thing is very bright. Do it like most of us flashaholics and get all of them. As far as the batteries definately get the AWs. Don't know what bore Bugsy does them or if they have opened it up a couple thousands more but one of my 3100 mAh batteries was too fat to fit my bored lights (not from Bugsy), if anything get the 2900 mAh. Don't forget to read the dangers of using lithium ion batteries and get a digital multi-meter to check your voltage when the battery comes off the charger. FYI nothing against Malkoff I got the M60, 61 and 91. GL.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

BIGLOU found the NB T5 drop in!

badtizscool, I foundt the M60 at Oveready, but they're asking if I need a fitting ring M2 adapter or none for a Z44 bezel. Do I need to order a fitting ring for the C2? Got it! Did some reading in Oveready's site and the C2 has a Z44 bezel!

Thanks again for the heads up on the batteries!

Btw, do I need to buy some copper tape?

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
If you get the NB drop-in Dave (Nailbender) includes a strip. I usually wrap the copper tape two times around drop-in for my SF bodies which I found is enough so the drop-in doesn't seat not too loose or too tight and I do not use the spring that is included. Test the light out if the flashlight body gets hot that means your good to go and the heat is being transferred away from the head/drop-in. FYI pay the $5 more and get it thermally potted. I think you are going to like that 4500K. By all means also get the M60 batz mentioned I think everybody should have an M60.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the NB drop-in Dave (Nailbender) includes a strip. I usually wrap the copper tape two times around drop-in for my SF bodies which I found is enough so the drop-in doesn't seat not too loose or too tight and I do not use the spring that is included. Test the light out if the flashlight body gets hot that means your good to go and the heat is being transferred away from the head/drop-in. FYI pay the $5 more and get it thermally potted. I think you are going to like that 4500K. By all means also get the M60 batz mentioned I think everybody should have an M60.

Thanks, I have to do more research since lighthound is out of stock on the NB, but i filled out their waiting list form. I'm going back to my search tab to see if i can find the link to Dave's listing in the market place, see if I can find it there.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

badtizscool, I foundt the M60 at Oveready, but they're asking if I need a fitting ring M2 adapter or none for a Z44 bezel. Do I need to order a fitting ring for the C2? Got it! Did some reading in Oveready's site and the C2 has a Z44 bezel!

Btw, do I need to buy some copper tape?

Yeah. No need to order the fitting ring. It's only needed if you're using the M2 bezel because that bezel is designed for shock isolation and it's the shock isolation design that sometimes doesn't work with certain P60 dropins.

The malkoff dropins have a very close fit so no need for copper tape. I actually think copper tape is unnecessary. It just looks cool. A strip of aluminum foil will work just as well and is readily available.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. No need to order the fitting ring. It's only needed if you're using the M2 bezel because that bezel is designed for shock isolation and it's the shock isolation design that sometimes doesn't work with certain P60 dropins.

The malkoff dropins have a very close fit so no need for copper tape. I actually think copper tape is unnecessary. It just looks cool. A strip of aluminum foil will work just as well and is readily available.

Thanks! ... :thumbsup:

Btw Have an Absolutely Great New Year!