Surefire Defect? What to do?

bunnywunny1

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I got my Surefire Limited Edition 6PX Pro in last weekend and I've carried it a few times, I just noticed what seems to be a manufacturers defect. Almost like some machining marks beside the Surefire logo. It is not terribly noticeable but it is definately there. I havn't contacted S/F yet because I'm not sure what I want to do? It is a limited edition and I really don't want to send it in, I would like to keep it as a collection piece/occasional user.

Has anyone had any experience like this? any advice on what I should do guys????

Here are some pics:

IMAG1256.jpg

IMAG1253.jpg

IMAG1248.jpg

välineurheilija

Enlightened
i have samekind of marks on my 6PL but at both ends of the groove. that looks a bit deeper though i wonder if they all have that.It is the starting or finishing point of the milling process probably the finishing point where the mill stops for a while before it comes up from the groove.

DimmerD

Enlightened
I would just keep it and think about the mark as something that has made the light even more special and unique, especially since it's a limited edition.

Craig K

Enlightened
That is a pretty nasty machine mark I would be a little disappointed If my light came like this and I would be thinking about sending it back.

DM51

Flashaholic
As it is a limited edition light, there may be a problem if you send it back - they might not be able to replace it with the same model. It's also quite possible all of that run have the same machining defect. Also, 873 seems a nice low serial #.

In your place, I would keep it.

signal 13

Enlightened
Just think of it like the dishes in the movie "Fight Club". The ones with the tiny bubbles and imperfections. Proof that they were crafted by the honest, simple, hard-working indigenous peoples of … AMERICA!

You know, Native American blankets were woven with imperfections to let the evil spirits escape...

Just trying to make ya feel better!

cccpull

Enlightened
My 6PX-Pro(regular matte black) also has the machining mark, although I have a piece of bike inner tube for added grip so I couldn't really see it until I looked for it. Seems to be common on the 6PX. Just keep it and know we all "feel your pain", too:((ie are irritated after you showed us:poke:). Just kidding:D. Isn't CPF a wonderful place for information, whether you want it or not.:grin2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just think of it like the dishes in the movie "Fight Club". The ones with the tiny bubbles and imperfections. Proof that they were crafted by the honest, simple, hard-working indigenous peoples of …

You just broke rule #1!

The machinist who made your light was a Cubs fan...

bnemmie

Enlightened
Mine has it as well, right under the "S" in Surefire. Never noticed it untill reading this.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 6PX Pros (one black, three red Limited Edition), and they all have the same machining mark. What I don't get, is the other side doesn't have the mark...on any of my lights. So if they can machine it without the mark on one side, why can't they do the same on both sides? :shrug:

BTW...I noticed it right away on all of my lights.

dougie

Enlightened
I've a limited run black 6P Defender which has an equally pronounced mark at the same point. I assume like others have said that it's a milling machine issue. It's also only on one side of my light. Having not seen the Surefire production facility I'm guessing that the two sides were machined simultaneously by different mill bits? It's not ideal is it? However, what is more interesting is that it occurs on both the older 6P and also on the newer 6PX Pro? I will make an assumption (stupid I know) that the milling machine being used, which is presumably computer controlled is so expensive that Surefire only has the one? With a simple program change it will be able to machine different models easily. However, if the mill bit is slightly slow coming up/down then this would explain why it's seen on so many lights and different types? Strange the QC didn't pick it up? However, it isn't a big deal for me and certainly not something which detracts from the rest of the excellent machining which the rest of the light has.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
The mark is where the milling machine (very probably CNC) tool has started the cut in the aluminium. The milling machines will have the X and Y co-ordinates in a programme. With piece work like this there will be tolerances (+/-) as there are on almost all machined items. It is impossible to slot a hole without leaving very, very slight machine marks, no matter how much you slow the feed speed. What may have happened is that the slot cutter may have been changed for a new item and there has been a slight change in position due to either tolerance in the slot cutting bit or swarf in the collett that hold the cutter.

After looking at the mark again in detail it looks like a manual attempt at trying to zero the tool. You wind the cutter down until it barely touches the material, then zero the axis. I used to use a damp smoking paper that would fly off when the tool touches it just proud of the material you are machining. The actual marks are very normal as part of the process but they do look 'heavier' than normal.

Craig K

Enlightened
I have 4 6PX Pros (one black, three red Limited Edition), and they all have the same machining mark. What I don't get, is the other side doesn't have the mark...on any of my lights. So if they can machine it without the mark on one side, why can't they do the same on both sides? :shrug:

BTW...I noticed it right away on all of my lights.

I agree if they can machine it without the mark on one side, why can't they do the same on both sides?

DimmerD

Enlightened
I just looked at my 9P and it is there and only on 1 side! Never noticed it before and now that I do I don't care. It's performs as it is supposed to and that's why I bought it. Now if it were a watch or piece of jewelry I would feel differently about it.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight collector so perhaps I have no business commenting here. However. If something like that happens with an edition of a book, it becomes a hidden proof of authenticity. Be careful of that sort of thing when demanding perfection.