Been out awhile... anything new coming out?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm in the market for a new LED based EDC light with a little better perfomance than my Maratac AA. Anything new coming out for SHOT or in general? I'd like to stay single cell, and it would be great if it was single AA.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like there are a few single cell AA lights out there. What I find myself doing is buying 'em one by one as maybe a deal comes up to temp me on a coupon. Then sell the ones I don't like as much. I'll do a run time test and check efficiency with a light box and data logging meter and that pretty much is one of my most important criteria. Of course guys will also be critical of tint, beam pattern, and mode spacing.

But one light I've come across recently that I'm pretty impressed with is the EagleTac D25A mini. It has a boost mode on high that when first turned on pushes the output to 20% higher for 90 seconds, then drops back to normal high which is as high or higher than any other single AA light that I know of. Output was very well regulated and the efficiency on high was almost as good as the Fenix LD15. I've noticed that efficiency typically improves at the lower output levels and so that's to be expected since the D25A is brighter than the Fenix LD15. Runtime though was 91 minutes on D25A and 121 minutes on LD15. ..........however the middle mode is very well spaced and has the best efficiency when looking at area under the curve. Runtime on medium was 5 1/2 hours. Anyhow I've had a Quark AA mini, Olight i2, Fenix LD15, Olight T15 and the D25A mini and I'm in the process of just having the D25A and Fenix LD15 right now.

I have yet to try out other AA lights so I may be missing out but though I'd just offer my thoughts on the ones I've had.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I'm diggin that D25 mini. How would you rank the build quality? I understand that EagleTacs are made in China which I'm not a fan of, but that may be unavoidable.

Who would be a good vendor to buy this light from? I thought about Peak lights too....

Also looking at the Fenix LD10+... How does the quality of Fenix compare to EagleTac?

Last edited:

shadeone

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3,

wait for SHOT show before purchasing the eagletac... I inquired into a rear clicky version of the D25A Mini a week or so ago and got this response:

Nothing I can disclose at this time although Shot Show is coming up.
Watch CPFM for a Shot Show anouncment. :whistle:

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
I have a d25a mini and a d25lc2 - both lights have impressed me (build quality, beam quality, small size compared to competitive lights), especially for the dollar. I think these models may now be available in neutral tint; however, mine are cool tint but do not annoy me with blue/purple/green coloration. They have also just released titanium versions that offer XM-L emitters.

Regarding vendors, I've purchased all of my EagleTacs (and about 15 other recent light purchases...) from Aimkon - prices are super-competitive, and their service has been exceptional. My orders placed at 9pm are typically confirmed shipped early the following morning. They also ship out of east coast (NC), which may get things to you in NJ a bit faster than alternate locales...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe EagleTac is a U.S. company. I wasn't aware of their manufacturing in China. It wouldn't surprise me though. To be competitive in this global economy requires it I suppose..........at least until the whole global economy blows up.........but that's another story.

From the only EagleTac light I have, the build quality is excellent. I know Fenix lights are good quality too. Basically, I'm happy with the quality of all the name brands like Olight, iTP, Fenix, EagleTac, Quark and a host of others. My issue is more on performance, beam pattern, tint, and operation.

I'd look at the CPF marketplace or banner ads. There's bound to be coupons available too. Check Ebay and internet pricing too.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I had to order the EagleTac D25A this morning. Can't wait to get my paws on it. I was tempted to get the Ti XPG-S2 version but decided to hold off on any more costly lights till after SHOT is over and all the new stuff is exposed. I did email EagleTac about the availability of the clicky version and they wrote back saying that it would be out at the end of February.

I am intersted in a few of of EagleTacs lights especially some of the scorcher versions. But lets see if Surefire comes out with anything new first.

dmkatz76

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an ET D25C2 a few months ago from Illumination Gear. It was shipped within an hour of ordering. So far, no issues with the light. It's been my EDC and have found the multiple modes to be very useful. I highly recommend it.

Am very interested in clicky versions...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got the D25A mini today. Its ok, not as impressed as I thought I would be. The hotspot has a dim center and I don't think the output is as good as advertised though its not nighttime for a proper test. Its a good little light to hold me till after shot and then when I get something better it will go to the wife.