Jetbeam M1X won't turn on

jgang

Newly Enlightened
Admitted novice here. Used my M1X all fall spotlighting. I changed the batteries yesterday and now the light won't come on. Bezel is tight (didn't turn it before taking the batteries out), tailcap is tight, batteries are new. What am I missing?

Soda

Newly Enlightened
What kind of batteries are you using? You might want to test each battery out with a multimeter just to double check.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if the M1X has this, but check the tailcap to see if the retaining ring is tight. The retaining ring should have 2 small holes to tighten...insert the tips of a small needle nose pliers, or similar to tighten.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
FlashKat said:
I am not sure if the M1X has this, but check the tailcap to see if the retaining ring is tight. The retaining ring should have 2 small holes to tighten...insert the tips of a small needle nose pliers, or similar to tighten.

The M1x does not have one.

jgang

Newly Enlightened
Any other thoughts? Checked the batteries and they're good. Is there anyone I can send it to to have it looked at? If it's a circuit thing, it's way beyond my capabilities.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You can use a paper clip to determine if the fault is with the tailcap or with the batteries/circuit. With the batteries inserted but no tailcap in place, press a paper clip against the base of the batteries, and connect to the un-anodized portion of the end of the body tube. You may need to apply some pressure on the batteries/clip to make full contact.

If it lights up, you will know the problem is in the tailcap. The retaining ring on the M1X is on the outside of the tailcap, so you would need to unscrew the exterior stainless steel ring (snap-ring pliers are about the only thing that will work, if you don't have the Jetbeam plastic tool for the job). The underside of mouse pad might work too. Clean the contacts and retighten the switch internals, if this is the source of the problem (may need a new switch, if that doesn't solve it).

If the light doesn't light up with the paper clip, it is the batteries or the circuit. Try another set of batteries, or check them with a DMM. If the batteries aren't the issue, the circuit is gone, and you will need to send back for repair/replacement.

theix

Newly Enlightened
You can use a paper clip to determine if the fault is with the tailcap or with the batteries/circuit. With the batteries inserted but no tailcap in place, press a paper clip against the base of the batteries, and connect to the un-anodized portion of the end of the body tube. You may need to apply some pressure on the batteries/clip to make full contact.

If it lights up, you will know the problem is in the tailcap. The retaining ring on the M1X is on the outside of the tailcap, so you would need to unscrew the exterior stainless steel ring (snap-ring pliers are about the only thing that will work, if you don't have the Jetbeam plastic tool for the job). The underside of mouse pad might work too. Clean the contacts and retighten the switch internals, if this is the source of the problem (may need a new switch, if that doesn't solve it).

If the light doesn't light up with the paper clip, it is the batteries or the circuit. Try another set of batteries, or check them with a DMM. If the batteries aren't the issue, the circuit is gone, and you will need to send back for repair/replacement.

Actually you can unscrew the stainless steel ring without any tools. Wipe it clean.Hold it tight. And turn as hard as you can. The stainless ring should come off not too hard. I've done this a few times with my spare M1Xm tailcaps.