Olight M20 R5

Confederate

Enlightened
I've been looking for reviews of the Olight M20 Warrior R5. Not merely the features, but the runtimes and lumens measurements. I read elsewhere that the tint was fairly white, but I've found mine to be quite green. Some of the advertised runtimes have been hard to believe (like the five lumens for 600 hours and 320 lumens for four hours). Has anyone confirmed these? And I don't believe for a minute that the turbo setting is 320 lumens.

I like the light, but if I wanted to read fiction, I'd buy a book at Amazon. If it's not fiction, I think it would be safe to say it would be the most popular light on this site.

I've also heard of the S2 version, but find it...well...I can't find it. Is it worth looking at?

The newest "X" version of the Olight M20 is said to have improved circuitry, but the runtimes are so radically different from the R5 version that (if those runtimes were accurate) no one in their right mind would prefer the X version over the standard version.

Here are the advertised runtimes of the standard R5:

• 5 lumens, 600 hours
  • 110 lumens, 11 hours
  • 320 lumens, 4 hours
  • Strobe, 4 hours
And here are the advertised runtimes of the M20-S "X":

• Low: 10 lm (85hrs)
  • Medium: 100 lm (5hrs)
  • High: 500 lm (1.5hrs)
  • Strobe: 500 lm (1.5hrs)
  • High runs at max output for the first 5 minutes and then drops to 60% output for thermal protection. This is reset each time it is powered on.
As you can see, the runtimes of the M20-S "X" are significantly different than the standard version. And who would rather have 10 lumens for 85 hours than 5 lumens for 600 hours?

Can someone help me out?

Soda

Newly Enlightened
The M20x does not step down to 60% after 5 minutes. The M21x does. Also, the new runtimes and lumen outputs are based of the ANSI FL1 mesurements which are more accurate.

Confederate

Enlightened
Please see this website for the information: "High runs at max output for the first 5 minutes and then drops to 60% output for thermal protection. This is reset each time it is powered on." Runtimes are greatly inferior with the new light because of the five minutes of thermal protection. The brighter these lights get, the more they suck energy. Small increases of light result in huge decreases of power. So I use the intermediate and low settings and only use turbo when I really need it.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please see this website for the information: "High runs at max output for the first 5 minutes and then drops to 60% output for thermal protection. This is reset each time it is powered on." Runtimes are greatly inferior with the new light because of the five minutes of thermal protection. The brighter these lights get, the more they suck energy. Small increases of light result in huge decreases of power. So I use the intermediate and low settings and only use turbo when I really need it.

The flashlight mentioned in your link to "this website" is the M20-s X. That flashlight uses an XML emitter. It also has a side switch. According to the info at 4 Sevens, the XML version has a thermal step down feature.

The flashlight mentioned in your thread title " Olight M20 R5 " uses an R5 emitter. The M20 R5 has no side switch for switching modes. It is done by twisting the head. The R5 emitter does not have thermal step down.

There were 4 different emitters used in the M20 Warrior lineup, and 2 styles of mode switching. They are all called M20--. Confusing, yes.

Latest posts