Lanyard Yes or No

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all of the newest lights come with a Lanyard.
Who uses them on a regular basis ?
I received my Klarus XT 2C and 1C today and these are the first lights I have actually used the included lanyard.

iron potato

Enlightened
My V10A clipped to belt, while my backup PC20 uses V10A lanyard, easier to pull out from my waist pouch & hang on wrist :popcorn:

bnemmie

Enlightened
Yes for me. I work on the water and have lost a few lights over the side when they diddnt have lanyards. Nothing like watching your light, still working, sink in hundreds of feet of water. Ugh. I have yet to loose my 6PX Pro when I use the lanyard like I should. (Knock on wood) I loop the cord over my wrist so I can drop the light if I need to and it wont go anywhere. A $6 lanyard can save a $100 light.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
I dont always use lanyards, but when I do, I prefer Jetbeam lanyards.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Can't stand the feel or look of any kind of lanyards. My two daughters like them on their lights. I still have a drawer full of new ones just sitting around. I like the clean look of a torch; not crazy about the look of the belt/pocket clip as well...

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use lanyard on bigger lights all the time, because it's better to be safe than sorry. With decent to high-end lights costing a lot of money, it's a stupid thing not to take precautions. The bigger and heavier lights are, the most likely that something will end up breaking when they hit the ground.

For smaller lights that are attached to keychain, I usually insert the ring to my finger and use that as a finger lanyard.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Most of my single cell lights have lanyards.
Surefires, Peak, Gerber, Inova, Malkoff, Proton Pro all have lanyards.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Only when I think I will risk loosing the light in case I drop it, otherwise no lanyard.
About clips I use that on my LD01 in my jeanspocket (or Revo SS with P7 clip) and Preon 2 in my chestpocket, my other lights are without clips,

Richub

Enlightened
I only use lanyards when I'm bicycling, or if there's a risk of losing a light when I drop it. (On a boat or in a cave, for instance.)
Else I remove them inmediately, I don't like a lanyard on a light when I'm not needing it.

The advantage of this is: The lanyards stay new, and don't wear out and snap if really needed. I always have a couple of lanyards in a pocket of my EDC backpack.

Clips always get removed first thing when unpacking a new flashlight. I don't like them. Period.
I keep the clips in the original boxes though. In case I sell a light, I want to sell it complete, and not with a part missing.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
All of my working lights have a lanyard, my play at home on the couch lights do not have them. I prefer 5/50 cord and a smaller split ring that can separate me from the flashlight in an emergency.

I like the Surefire combat rings (the one with the full finger loop) for the smaller lights that they will fit and use them regularly and if I don't make my own lanyard I have some surefire Z50 style lanyards ling around that I use the split ring with.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I like to use lanyards on my lights when I am in a place where dropping it would mean loosing the light. The lights I use around the house don't always have a lanyard though. I just received a set of the SF Combat Rings for Christmas, I have been experimenting with them, so far I am impressed.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it depends on the light and the situation. Some of my flashlights I use in situations where a lanyard can be annoying, for example when I carry the light in a narrow pocket. Also a light with better grip(rubberered or cigarr style design) doesn't make the demands of a lanyard as much as a slipper light. One of the most important situations to use a lanyard is as Dingle1911 says in the post above: "when I am in a place where dropping it would mean loosing the light". Using a flashlight on a bridge over water while holding the light outside the rail would just need a small fumble with the hand to lose the light.

Last edited:

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
For me no lanyard. I've tried them on my lights and my knives and they seem to get in the way more than help with deployment Although for some reason I keep going back to a lanyard for a week or so about once a year but always end up taking it off because it's more of a PIA

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a lanyard when wearing gloves just to aid getting a light out of my pocket and guard against 'fumble fingers', deep snow makes any light vanish instantly. Otherwise I keep lanyards on all my lights but use them only when circumstance dictates; working near the water or in an elevated location.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also feel that a lanyard is dependent on the job type, and is situation dependent. I like lanyards on some lights, but for an around the house light, it kind of gets in the way. For walking outside, or more specific job types of situations, I like a good simple lanyard. It is better than having your nice light hit the pavement or concrete if the light slips out of your hand. Cheap insurance. If your in the woods, you could use it as back up survival tool for something. I feel that it good to have in certain situations.

SpicyMcHaggis

Newly Enlightened
I wear my Olight i1 on a lanyard around my neck 24/7. Just seems to work better for me carrying it like that. Heck, I'd wear my Olight Warrior that way, but it's a bit bulky for that.