XML-U2 bin hidden value.

Kilted

Enlightened
So as I was headed out the door this morning I dropped the my new SWM Ti2 XML-U2 bin flashlight into my pocket. I ended up at Macy's buying shirts and the lights over one rack were low and seemed off color. The U2 bin is a nice day light bin and when I turned it on I had no trouble seeing what color the shirt really was.

When I got home I tried the SWM-AE neutral bin and the colors did not show up as well. White wall hunting is one thing try some thing with colors and see how they look.

I also tried the different tints on the trees in my back yard and the neutral won. I can see there is lots of room for experimentation.

=D~~ Kilted

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because an emitter has neutral or warm tint doesn't mean that it has high CRI.

In fact, you can totally have an emitter with cool white tint bin with high CRI.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 bin is a nice day light bin and when I turned it on I had no trouble seeing what color the shirt really was.

U2 is a brightness bin. In fact, any Cree [letter][number] is brightness, while [number][letter] is tint. 5A is a tint, U2 is a range of lumens at test current.

Your U2-brightness XM-L may be a nice color and color rendering LED, but I find neutrals do better if speccedd right.

Kilted

Enlightened
Some reference CRI explanation; http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/cri_explained.htm. Another semi-useful standard like RS-232, all depends on your source for comparison.

Since I'm not into DIY lights I have to depend on others also to add another twist to the mix. I do not see colors the way most people do. "My CRI" is shifted because I am partially color blind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness "Ishihara color test ... and viewers with achromatopsia may not see numbers." which is what I have. By using a compensating light source I can then see the color difference.

=D~~ Kilted