Where do you buy your lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedywheelz123

Newly Enlightened
Is the internet the only place to get "real" flashlights? I mean I have seen some Surefires at Gander Mountain. So, where do you guys buy your lights?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the internet the only place to get "real" flashlights? I mean I have seen some Surefires at Gander Mountain. So, where do you guys buy your lights?

I pretty much only buy from our reputable dealers or forum members over in the marketplace. Our local B&M stores have no selection and are over priced 90% of the time.

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
Almost exclusively online. I usually buy used from individuals or new from reputable dealers. I have yet to find a brick and mortar store that carries lights that I am interested in

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
90% + Internet. When I do buy at retail stores, it's only because the light's on clearance or a Black Friday special. e.g., Lowe's Maglites etc...

Tomcat!

Enlightened
In the time I've been in CPF it's always been the web. Decent lights just don't appear in high street shops. Maglites of course are available everywhere, and have been for a couple of decades, but until CPF I'd never heard of most of the brands our US cousins take for granted. I think a lot of that has to do with the UK not having the kind of wilderness that other countries do and thus a much smaller 'outdoor' culture. Few people go hunting, and guns are restricted to a handful of people. Led Lensers have been around in our stores for a while now and are probably the best known of the non-Mag better-than-average lights. The Icon Modus lights are now available in Maplin shops (they're like RadioShack), and the Icon solo has made a limited appearance. I did see a Rouge 2 in a shop but that's a rarity. What amazes me is that since joining CPF there has been such an explosion of Chinese lights of decent enough quality, which are freely available online, but none of the brands we know seem to have made it into the shops. I would have thought at least one, say a big name like Fenix, with their wide product range that has been well tested in the 'field' by discerning and vocal flashaholics, might have tried the high street with AAA and AA models to tempt the public.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Most of my good lights came from BrightGuy in the U.S. I've bought a couple of M*gLEDs from local home improvement stores and I've bought a couple of oddball lights and parts from Dx. I prefer to keep my money in the local or US economy where I can.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
The usual suspects on the net. Just made my first purchase off a fellow CPF member, some amazing kit in the B/S/T area. I was in one of the better gunshop/ranges in Calgary today and they had the best selection of SF I have ever seen but nowhere near the whole line. Prices were exactly the same as other dealers but you can check them out which is a big plus and no shipping charges.

CaptainPrankster

Newly Enlightened
Hi People. I'm in Scotland and have found that to buy any really descent lights it has to be the internet. The best you're likely to find in a "high street" store is a 2D cell LED Maglite. Recently purchased a Led Lenser P7 from Amazon and I'm afraid my collection of Mags won't be getting used for the fore seeable future.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
I've bought all of my flashlights from GoingGear. Great prices, great service and the owner Marshall, puts out great videos comparing and reviewing dozens of flashlights. Anyone that goes through that kind of effort gets my business.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Online vendors. Keep your eye on the CPF Marketplace "good deals" section for discount codes from different vendors. You will need to be an active member of the Marketplace to view that thread. I no longer will go to stores to try and buy a flashlight. Any store near me that sells high end brand name lights only stocks the entry level ones. I end up wasting time and gas money going to a store and would be charged sales tax too if I bought a light. Most vendors offer free shipping and no sales tax charged. Then take your CPF discount. :thumbsup:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much from CPF vendors and builders. Occasionally from CPF members via CPFM. The BM stores around here are really overpriced. Just as an example, high end D cell nimhs were $33 for a 2 pack. All lights and batteries we like are like that.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought all of mine on the internet. The local retailers have basically zero selection. I did find a place that sold a few 4 Sevens and Fenix flashlights the other day, but they were way overpriced.

Fulaeetoy

Newly Enlightened
Internet. Deal done through meetups.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
An online retailer here happens to have an outlet store 20 minutes drive from here. Been there a few times, its nice to be able to touch and feel stuff.

It allowed me to make up my mind on the SureFire E1B and get one, after putting my hands on it. And it allowed me decide the T1A Titan is not really a light I'm interested in anymore.

Probably one of the only stores in the country that sells 'real' lights. Still no 4Sevens, Malkoff, HDS, etc there though. Those remain on the internet.

speedywheelz123

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I figured the web was the best place, which is not surprising as I buy all mine online. (At least the few I own)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts