My CRI Photos

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Attempt to show the different CRI of some LEDs.

under Fluorescent lighting
WUUZ6P.jpg

ZebraLight SC51c - Luxeon Rebel
GuQ0Fz.jpg

ZebraLight H51w - Cree XP-G Neutral
YIFPUt.jpg

Malkoff M61HCRI
K2W1hs.jpg

LumensFactory 90CRI
dYvOiT.jpg

Quark XP-G Cool White
075NGA.jpg

SureFire E2DL
wIFz5P.jpg

Photon MicroLight II
AUEghq.jpg

Nichia HCRI Neutral
uvhtqb.jpg

Nichia HCRI Cool White :kiss:
RH2RJc.jpg

Xenon Flash
NCWJ8k.jpg

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots!

Once again it's the Nichia HCRI neutral that does it for me, 119 correct?
Curious as to what your preference it out of the lot?

Btw, that Nichia HCRI cool white, I assume is the 183?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - the Nichia Cool White HCRI and the Xenon Flash are almost identical!

I'm still a WW fan, so the Lumens Factory and Malkoff are the ones for me.

Placing the XP-G Cool White right after the XP-G WW HCRI (LumensFactory) really does highlight just how much blue output there is from the CW emitter.

Thanks for the pics - good work :)

grayhighh

Enlightened
Nice shot !

Thanks for the comparison. That Nichia shot is awesome. I have a McG Mule using the Nichia too, Love it.

BarryH

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this Rookiedaddy!

Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but which one looks closest to natural sunlight to you?

To me the ZebraLight SC51c Luxeon Rebel looks the most natural followed by the Nichia, but that does not take into consideration the calibration of my LCD monitor or your camera.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the shots. Now I am curious about the Nichia cool white too. Who uses it in their lights?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
thanks for the kind words guys... :)
both Neutral and Cool White Nichia emitter are 183.
For LED, the Nichia cool white is the closest to the true colour for me. As this LED doesn't cast an "artificial tint" to the object(s) being illuminated and it reveals quite a bit more details compare to others. Next are Nichia neutral and ZebraLight SC51c, both are equally impressive but they do cast a slight warmish tint to the object(s) being illuminated.
Like many, I like neutral and warm white LED too, but this Nichia cool white really brings a whole new illumination experience to me.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the photos. I am surprised that the two Zebralights in my eyes seem to have at least as good color rendition as Malkoff M61HCRI!

Harry999

Enlightened
Very nice photos. They clearly highlight that HCRI is a useful attribute in your light. I have the Zebralight SC51c and wait for the SC80w to be available to get my next warm light.

Those nichia leds are very high quality as well. I know Peak had some and I think the only other source is McGizmo? Definitely gives me food for thought in considering my next light purchase.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
"HCRI movement"?! :sweat: ooo... that sound serious... :devil:
I do hope that manufacturers will bring us more quality lumens... :)

Absolutely. I haven't bought a production light in nearly a year, simply because I'm unwilling to live with ugly cool white emitters.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
thanks for the kind words guys... :)

Thanks for taking and posting these photos. :thumbsup:

For LED, the Nichia cool white is the closest to the true colour for me.

Theoretically, the Nichia cool white should be the closest to "true" color if you define the latter as daylight. Speaking of which, although the xenon flash is a decent stand-in, I think that a photo of the subject under actual daylight illumination for comparative purposes would be great. :whistle:

As this LED doesn't cast an "artificial tint" to the object(s) being illuminated and it reveals quite a bit more details compare to others. Next are Nichia neutral and ZebraLight SC51c, both are equally impressive but they do cast a slight warmish tint to the object(s) being illuminated.

I agree about the warmish tint, since they are, after all, lower in color temperature, but in practice this isn't as pronounced to human eyes (and visual systems) as it is to a camera that is set to daylight white balance, as your camera appears to be. What I've done with photos in the past is adjust the white balance for each light source to achieve the closest match to what I see myself. Although this is not as objective in some ways, it is a way of communicating how different light sources practically affect color rendition; it also makes the comparison more fair.

Like many, I like neutral and warm white LED too, but this Nichia cool white really brings a whole new illumination experience to me.

The cool white Nichia (NS6W183AT-H1) is one that I've had my eye on for some time, as I consider daylight my ideal reference for color rendition, too. The Rebel (LXM3-PW51) in my ZebraLight H51c does a good job overall, but is definitely warmer than ideal (not as warm-looking as your photo shows, however, because my eyes adjust somewhat to the color temperature as well as lower levels of illumination). One thing I've noticed, however, is that many other HCRI LEDs have lots of red, even more than one would expect from their color temperatures, and that the Nichia LEDs are among them. Based on everything I've seen, I still think that the cool white HCRI Nichia is awesome (I want one! :drool:), but it appears to have a bit too much red and maybe not enough green for its color temperature--it's as though they fixed the problems with common cool white LEDs but overdid it a little. :) I'm nitpicking at this point, but it is noticeable, even just from photos.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the cool white HCRI Nichia is awesome!!! Are there any lights that has it today?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McGizmo Sundrop is the only one I am aware of. It has a smaller version of the led, the 083 at 5500K. The next best option would be the McGizmo Haiku oder Mule with a Nichia 119 in 4500K. The Problem that these lights are $400+ titanium custom lights.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that! Sounds like some crusade brewing up.
:thumbsup:
"HCRI movement"?! :sweat: ooo... that sound serious... :devil:
I do hope that manufacturers will bring us more quality lumens... :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The McGizmo Sundrop is the only one I am aware of. It has a smaller version of the led, the 083 at 5500K. The next best option would be the McGizmo Haiku oder Mule with a Nichia 119 in 4500K. The Problem that these lights are $400+ titanium custom lights.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd say it's high time that some other folks get into the HCRI game...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could get interested in that 5500K Nichia cool white HCRI.

None of the "warms" ever could attract me, and even the 4500K I have is way too warm for my taste.
I'm perfectly okay with HCRI, as long as there isn't any "warm" involved with it. It seems that this new cool Nichia is the first actual HCRI LED to have any possibility of real accuracy.

But the truth is that I can tell exactly what I'm looking at in every one of those pictures, and the CRI is not really important. I'm not lighting a scene for a National Geographic cover photo. I'm just using a flashlight.

Last edited: