Finally got my spare Surefire U2

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the gun shop over the weekend. I guess the owner finally got tired of looking at that U2 sitting in his display case for so many years, because he had it marked down so low I would have had to ask him to shoot me if I didn't buy it. Yes, I know these things are based on five year old technology, but I still love my U2. This is one of the old school LuxeonV based Digital Ultras. It had the plastic sleeve in the body tube. Twenty minutes in the freezer (just the body, please) and that sucker slipped right out. Now it runs on 18650 lithium ion cells, just like my first U2. The tint of these things is great - for some reason most Cree emitters always feel like they have a poorer CRI or something, at least to me anyway.

Anyone else out there still have any love for the old U2?

Kilted

Enlightened
I still have my original U2 the one before the plastic insert. I stop carrying it as I now have brighter smaller CR123 and AA size pocke lights.
I still grab the U2 because I still love the selection ring, color and nice beam.

= D~~ Kilted

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the time of the U2 I was too poor to afford one, or rather I could but I have other uses for the money on hand. Now I have the means to but there are much more interesting lights to be had. I do however possess a KL5 with the Lux 5 emitter and I do agree it has a very beautiful cool white tint.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Check out this thread, it's good reading:
A closer look at the Surefire U2 Ultra

If I came across a killer deal on a marked-down U2, I'd definitely pick it up too. It's one of the most significant older-style SF's that I haven't tried out yet - I've always been interested mostly because of the very dedicated following here on CPF.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about replacing the XP-G R4 in my U2A with an XM-L T5 neutral. My hope is that the XM-L will have a significantly lower Vf to allow 1x17670 or 1x18650 operation in full regulation for most/all of the battery's run time. Plus, I would get a nicer tint and perhaps slightly more lumens. Even if 1xLi-ion doesn't pan out, 2x16340 should still work out fine, with that much longer run time due to the lower Vf.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 SF U2, two old ones with 18650er stock body and two new one with SSC P4 LED. The U2 is still a great light, even if it is only labeled with 100 Lumens. The U2A is IMO brighter than the labeled 100 lumes.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 2, both run on a 18650. Milky swapped out the Lux5 in on for a neutral Cree MC-E and now it is very much brighter and has an incan like color.

One of the best lights ever made imho, if Surefire made one running a XM-L it would still be their best light..

Green one (Duracoat) is the MC-E one

IMG_7334.jpg

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the best lights ever made imho, if Surefire made one running a XM-L it would still be their best light..

I agree, it is sad that SF has seemingly abandoned this light design, I would think the large reflector would give a good beam with the large die of the XM-L. I would also be happy to get 200 lumens from an XP-G. I've still got at least three U2's after giving a couple as gifts in years past. One of them is still NIB, the other is on my wife's desk and another is the early design that takes an 18650. One more U2 is missing, it may well turn up in a drawer, coat pocket or duffel bag based on past experience.

SF seems to be branching away from the simple and versatile user interface and quality of the U2. On the low end, the new 6PX and G2X lights are bright and relatively inexpensive by SF standards but they are at most only two mode clickies in the Pro versions. The UB3T is a great light but it is large and pricey and the user interface suffers, in my opinion, from the 800 lumen SOS inexplicably placed between Min and Off.

I really should try a mod on one of the U2's, I can probably find some info here on CPF about an XP-G or XM-L upgrade. Or, maybe I could send it off to one of the modders online here.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I re-mod'ed my U2A by replacing the cool white XP-G R4 with a neutral XM-L T5. See here. Will post a photo of the LED/reflector business end at that link later.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took me 6 months of saving (when they were the light to have) to get mine, but it was a reliable "primary" duty light when i was doing security patrols, and my EDC light (its the older plastic sleeved Lux V version)
it doesnt get carried much anymore, as i have a bunch of newer more efficient lights, but it does nightstand duty every night , i would love to get the Lux V replaced with a new led though, maybe sending it to milky and seeing what he can do to it.

MCN

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, this is my first post. My name is Martin and although I try not to admit it I'm a flashaholic*.

And I love my U2. I can see from lurking here for a while that it's obsolete in some sense, but the size, design and UI are as perfect for me as I could imagine.

I got hooked on flashlights via SF, but it looks like they don't seem to push the state of the art as fast as some of the other makers on here. Is that what most of the forum thinks or am I off on this?

Anyway, you'll get my U2 from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands! It's currently doing service in my bass guitar gig bag.

(* currently own SF U2, M6, a pair of E1Es, 6P, 9P, and have a Quark Mini CR2 on the way in the mail)

SCblur

Enlightened
I also do not use my U2 much anymore because of my newer, more efficient lights, but I still think it's the best flashlight ever made.