• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Introducing D.Retinizer (or: Say Hello to Milky's Little Friend!)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy New Year to All!

img-20111231-times-square.png

Thought it might be fun to ring in 2012 by offering a one-of-a-kind light built for the needs of a law enforcement officer based here on the east coast. Say hello to my little friend, D.Retinizer.

img-d.retinizer-hogwarts.jpg

(Milky Labs is not responsible for the creatively applied labels on the train! That's the handiwork of the little milklets.) ;)

Here's a close look at the label. Interestingly, SureFire's machining cut marks are visible beneath the hard anodize: guess I got the focus right for once!

img-d.retinizer-label-closeup.jpg

...and this is how D.Retinizer might be used, if robots handled our law enforcement needs in the future...

img-d.retinizer-robot-skull.jpg

Okay, so what is a D.Retinizer?

Not to be technical, but the real question would be: what is THE D.Retinizer? As of right now there's only one.

D.Retinizer is a purpose-built, upgraded version of my MOAL build. (Which I haven't yet posted on CPF. Oops.) As such, it is a member of the Special Reserve collection.

MOAL flashlights are basically the supercharged progeny of the classic CREEmator builds. They utilize the Cree XM-L and deliver max output well beyond the Creemator's capabilities, with a richer, more flexible variation of the firmware and more robust heatsinking; while still delivering a comparable form factor and the ability to run happily on 1x rechargeable or 2x primary cells.

D.Retinizer ups the ante beyond that of the standard MOAL by incorporating tellurium copper internal heatsinking

img-cute.jpg

as well as a sapphire window (nearly indestructible as compared with the usual float glass or even mineral glass, not to mention polycarbonate) and a modified Novatac 120P reflector.

img-d.retinizer-on-book.jpg

The reflector in particular is tuned for a beam that makes good on two seemingly conflicting goals: enough punch to penetrate the length of a dark alley (presumably to root out the bad guys), and plenty of heavy sidespill for proper contextual information indoors or close-to-moderate distance outdoor use. Most optics fail in terms of contextual information; most reflectors fail in creating relative blindness, with the sidespill so much dimmer than the hotspot that one's side vision is compromised... or barring that, the beam becomes so floody that it loses its ability to throw. The Novatac 120P reflector, after undergoing some fairly delicate modifications, is one of those happy accidents (it was manufactured before the XM-L even existed) that's able to deliver on both fronts. In my experience, this is a rare breed! (Literally as well: I only have 1-2 more such reflectors in my parts box.)

The beam profile begins to tell the story.

img-d.retinizer-ceiling.jpg

The happy flashlight tapestry gives a more reality-based peek at the reflector's performance. (Left panel shows ambient light.)

img-d.retinizer-art.jpg

D.Retinizer shares the pocketable footprint of any SureFire E-Series flashlight as well as the Creemator itself. It's a great package in terms of output vs. size, and the host, by definition, has the tough build quality that a SureFire host brings to the table. Here's a look at D.Retinizer next to my personal prototype of the Gladius Creemator upgrade I designed for Strategos a while back...

img-d.retinizer-vs-gladius-crma.jpg

(It was the only kinda sorta stock light I had nearby! Had to compare to something.)

The Gladius Creemator does deliver very good throw, but at the cost of a somewhat larger light. Meanwhile, D.Retinizer preserves enough of that throw to matter, while shrinking the dimensions of the package in terms of both length and diameter, making it markedly easier to carry... and as the photos below show, D.Retinizer easily outclasses its larger cousin in terms of overall output.

img-d.retinizer-cellar.jpg

D.Retinizer utilizes an Acorn 2.0 powerplant, capable of generating roughly 716 emitter lumens. This most likely translates to a max output approaching 600 lumens out the front, when accounting for loss through reflector and lens. Minimum output is probably in the 0.1-0.2 lumen ballpark, with a runtime of... uh... well, a really long time.

How long can max output run? the body accepts a 17670 rechargeable, and on that, the light should be capable of bright output on high beam for 1 hour or so. Run the head on an 18650 body (or have this body bored for 18650... I'm told it is possible!) and use the latest AW 3100mAh 18650 cell, and runtime is likely to jump into the 90-120 minute ballpark. As I do with all such builds, I recommend using high output intermittently rather than as a long, continuous burn, to protect the longevity of the flashlight... but in a pinch, chances are the light will do fine.

D.Retinizer is one-of-a-kind and is offered to the first person posting "I'll take it!" or similar in this thread, with payment to follow once confirmed. Cost for the complete flashlight as pictured is $395 plus shipping. ($5 priority in USA, $20 priority to elsewhere, $40 Express Mail International. Add $7 for insurance to any of these.)

In the event you already have a suitable body and tail, the head is available by itself for $325 plus shipping.

Enjoy! :party:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the thread is only about 40 minutes old and it's already done.

You're crazy brandocommando!!!

brandocommando

Enlightened
I had a little bit of a heads up that something good was coming from Milky to ring in the new year from the other thread...
I figured buying my first Milkyspit would be a good way start 2012!:naughty:

That's what I get for hanging out at home, logged on to CPF on new years eve, instead of going out partying I guess.:shrug:

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the flashaholic in you. Not a bad way to start at all!

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the kind sentiments. I haven't posted a whole lot about my efforts in 2011, and resolve for 2012 to be better in that respect!

@Dad: Do you think it's time for the next 100% custom Milky platform, a la the Gotham collaboration with Leef a few years back? Is there enough interest out there in such things?
:thinking:

Happy New Year!

Do you think it's time for the next 100% custom Milky platform, a la the Gotham collaboration with Leef a few years back? Is there enough interest out there in such things? :thinking:

Scott, I know for several of us it will come down to looks and price. The interest is certainly there, and the high-end discerning flashaholic will invest in a new Milky/mystery machinist collaboration if both of those key factors point up. It's going to have to be: titanium, pocketable, uniquely-styled, and sickly bright. :D

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the kind sentiments. I haven't posted a whole lot about my efforts in 2011, and resolve for 2012 to be better in that respect!

@Dad: Do you think it's time for the next 100% custom Milky platform, a la the Gotham collaboration with Leef a few years back? Is there enough interest out there in such things?

Happy New Year!

Yes.

Scott, I know for several of us it will come down to looks and price. The interest is certainly there, and the high-end discerning flashaholic will invest in a new Milky/mystery machinist collaboration if both of those key factors point up. It's going to have to be: titanium, pocketable, uniquely-styled, and sickly bright. :D

What he said. ^^ Give us a heads up, and I'll start saving. I am currently Milkyless and I wouldn't mind added one back into the collection. Preferably something in the 1x123/16340 form factor if possible, as that is my preferred EDC size light. I'll be following your thread.... :poke:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think it's time for the next 100% custom Milky platform, a la the Gotham collaboration with Leef a few years back? Is there enough interest out there in such things?

Happy New Year!

Similar to above, Either Ti or something special in aluminum (splash / two color anodizing), bright, unique - for me 16340 / 18350 /186500 would work. Maybe 18350 with an extension for 18650 use.

Choice of cool/neutral/warm for LED.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Similar to above, Either Ti or something special in aluminum (splash / two color anodizing), bright, unique - for me 16340 / 18350 /186500 would work. Maybe 18350 with an extension for 18650 use.

Choice of cool/neutral/warm for LED.

The Gossamer has been one of my favorite lights for quite a while. I also recently happened to stumble across the spec sheet for an emitter called the MC-E Dynamic White (which has two cool-white die and two warm-white die), and wondered if a "tuneable-tint" build were possible ???

precisionworks

Flashaholic
100% custom Milky platform, a la the Gotham collaboration with Leef a few years back? Is there enough interest out there in such things?
Scott, no doubt there is. My personal short list would be a light built from Ti 6-4, 1x18650, and three lumen levels (with memory) - something like 50/200/1000 bulb lumens. But knowing how you like bright it could also be 100/400/2000 :)